Macbook Air Powerful enough for developing apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Nachos, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

Hi

I’m not sure if this is the right place to be posting this thread, so feel free to move it if I’m wrong.

I have decided to buy a MBA 2.13 GHz and 4 gb ram. In your opinion is that good enough to run standard programs for development iPhone/iPad/mac Apps?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ;)

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Definitely. I wrote two or three programs on my 2.0 GHZ 2007 Macbook. Screen real estate can become an issue, but it's something you can get used to.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

put it like this....the project will run on a phone or ipod...it will run on the laptop for sure. lolz

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

The only time when power really comes into play is when you are compiling. A faster machine with lots of ram will compile large projects much faster. Though for the majority of apps this isn't an issue because, especially in the beginning, they are not all that complex.

The reason I went with a more powerful "development computer" is because I spend a lot of time in photoshop and illustrator designing graphical elements.

5. firewood macrumors 604

The current Air, even the bottom-most model, will be better (faster) than what most developers use to develop iOS apps (due to the SSD), but you might want to hook the Air to a very large monitor. On the 2GB models, you might not want to run a lot of stuff, other than the iOS dev tools, at the same time.

6. Nachos thread starter macrumors member

Nachos

I’m pretty new at this developing stuff, which programs do you use?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Then you'll want to check out the Guides and Stickies at the top of this very forum.

8. Nachos thread starter macrumors member

Nachos