MacBook Air Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nj-morris, Feb 3, 2015.

1. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I keep seeing the upcoming MacBook be called the retina MacBook Air. This is understandable, but I was thinking that Apple would make a MacBook that combines the MacBook Air and the Pro. It might be unlikely, but it would be good. Ok, maybe not the MacBook Air Pro, but I was hoping for a new name, maybe the MacBook Ultra or something like that. And yes, I am going to post a wish list.

MacBook with retina QHD display:

-12-inch retina display (2560x1440)
    -1cm thick (as thick at both ends)
    -2lb
    -MagSafe 3
    -12-hour battery life
    -Silver, gold and space grey colour options
    -256GB, 4GB, 2.4GHz, $999
    -512GB, 8GB, 2.6GHz, $1199
    -1TB, 8GB, 2.9 GHz, $1399

MacBook with retina 3K display:

Same except for:
    -15-inch retina display (3200x1800)
    -3lb
    -15-hour battery life
    -Bigger keyboard with extra keys
    -256GB, 8GB, 2.4GHz, $1299
    -512GB, 8GB, 2.9GHz, $1499
    -1TB, 16GB, 3.4GHz, $1699

Configuration options:
    Storage upgrade: $150
    Storage downgrade: $-75
    Memory upgrade: $100
    Memory downgrade: $-50
    Processor upgrade: $150
    Processor downgrade:$-75

Maybe the bit about downgrading isn't lively, but some people might want it, and a lot of people don't need it.
    I think this will come late this year, so that they can work on the iPad pro (I started a separate thread for this).

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Why the hell would they? They're two different products for a reason.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Introducing the new mac book air pro. Instead they should make the macbooktouch. or the macbookprotouch

5. nj-morris thread starter macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Don't really know much about this stuff

----------

Nah, no touch. Touchscreens just don't go well with laptops

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I don't think we'll see a "pro" version of the 12" Apple's computer line is already too crowded and I think they need to thin it out if they'll be releasing a 12" MBA. I also don't think the 12" model that is rumored is a "Pro" model either but rather a MBA

Its a tough sell to call something a Pro and yet have no ports as some of the rumors have postulated, likewise, if Apple goes for the ARM processor, its performance will be inferior to the Intel chipset. Yet another reason why it wouldn't be considered a Pro model

7. nj-morris thread starter macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I think the stuff about there being no ports is absolute rubbish. If the laptop is as thin throughout the body, then it would be easy to put in the same ports as the rMBP, providing they slim down the bottom part and keep the flats on the side about the same size.
    And also about the processor, as I said, I don't really know this stuff, but I'm sure that Apple will do what is best.

8. GoingDark macrumors 6502

The current retina MacBook Pros are already a "combination" of the best features of the Air and the Pro that came before.

If anything I think they'll want to further segment and differentiate the two lines, not increase confusion by muddling them together even further.

9. mkwd macrumors newbie

iPad MacBook Air Pro?

Sorry if anyone posted this before or if it just sounds ridiculous, or both, but what if the rumored 12" iPad Pro and the 12" Retina MacBook Air were actually one and the same? To me, it doesn't even sound that crazy: The 12" Retina screen of the iPad could, when connected, serve as a screen for an otherwise screenless laptop, benefiting from a more powerful processor in that laptop's body, which in turn could be a lot thinner, as the iPad's battery could add up to the laptop's while on the go.
    I've been thinking about this ever since I started using the Duet app to use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook Pro. Doesn't it just sound like a logical evolution? By the way, that would also explain the non-illuminated Apple logo, there's batteries in the screen...

Anyone?

Grtz

M\

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Why i want a touch screen just because i want to touch my screen lol

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

They wouldn't make a special line for even better pros. They would just upgrade the pro line. I think 3300x2100 resolution on the 15" will come eventually.

12. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

First, they need to upgrade the 2 yr old graphics card on the 15" retina

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, if you remember back to that photo there was clearly a hinge on the bottom. Apple isn't making a detachable and frankly they shouldn't.

Edit: The iPad Pro and rMBA are separate products with separate architectures and separate methods of input. One runs iOS, the other OS X. One has an ARM-based CPU, the other x86-based Core M. One uses a touchscreen, the other a trackpad.

14. nj-morris thread starter macrumors 68000

nj-morris

What I'm trying to say is that many people don't get the pro because they think the site has many advantages still, and it's much cheaper. So they would make a laptop which is the better of both worlds (tagline) so it would give the pro the advantages of the air, and the air the advantages of the pro, to expand the number of people who use MacBooks