Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sm1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
ok i have a macbook air (no hdd inside)

but i have a weird fault

i switch it on and it just gives a black screen, but i can hear the startup chime.

what wrong? can it be the graphics card?

pleaase help

iPadPhone

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011

but i have a weird fault

i switch it on and it just gives a black screen, but i can hear the startup chime.

pleaase help

HDD is always a start.

halledise

macrumors 68000

but i have a weird fault

pleaase help

look to your 'F2' button and hold it down for a bit to ensure your screen is at full brightness

after that try to zap the PRAM - hold down command + option + p + r upon startup until you hear the chime 3 or 4 times

sm1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
WOW quick replies!

ok, i dont want to waste money on a hdd atm, until i get somthing on the screen of the mac, because the macbook air actually takes a pata zif drive, and hopefully if i solve this problem then im planning on getting an Ssd :cool:

i tried the f2 button, no luck

and the screen stays black (with no power) same as when its off

halledise

macrumors 68000
WOW quick replies!

ok, i dont want to waste money on a hdd atm, until i get somthing on the screen of the mac, because the macbook air actually takes a pata zif drive, and hopefully if i solve this problem then im planning on getting an Ssd :cool:

i tried the f2 button, no luck

and the screen stays black (with no power) same as when its off

call Apple or take it to an Apple Store if you have one nearby - warranty :D

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
no warranty its the a1237

The fact that it chimes is interesting. Check to make sure the display is still connected inside the air. Also, if you have access to a micro dvi adaptor, you could check to see if it gives you the grey screen on an external (start the machine in clamshell mode with the power connected)

sm1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
The fact that it chimes is interesting. Check to make sure the display is still connected inside the air. Also, if you have access to a micro dvi adaptor, you could check to see if it gives you the grey screen on an external (start the machine in clamshell mode with the power connected)

what do i need for clamshell mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.