MacBook Air Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dtp8513, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I am thinking of getting the latest model Macbook Air. Any thoughts on waiting? Is there a potential refresh coming out? Some good deals out there at the moment..

Also- is 128 GB too small? I have a ton of pictures, which I wouldnt be opposed to move to a drop box or external drive..

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are bunch of rumors about new Mac portables coking out around September/October. If you don't need a machine now, it might be nice to wait and see what comes out. Worst case is the new machines are not to your liking and you can still by the previous version for a while anyway.

128GB is a personal decision. Out of the box with the OS and iLife/iWork apps installed you will have around 100GB left for your personal data. I have a 128GB MBA and that is more than enough storage for me.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

128 is more than enough for me. I am largely cloud based and everything is backed up to Google Drive. Even if I had everything stored locally, I just don't have that much content.

the 12 inch retina will be coming, no one really knows when though. If you need a computer now, the current Air's are fantastic. If you don't need it, I'd wait. The retina screen is worth waiting for.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with the previous posters who have written extolling the citrus of the current MBAs, and stressing how excellent the current generation of MBAs actually are. My MBA is a 2013 model and it is easily the best computer I have ever had.

One area where I would differ with the previous posters is that of memory; personally, I would recommend 256 GB at a minimum - I found that 128 GB on my old 2010 Air was exceedingly limiting, and, as it became more full and the computer aged, it slowed down considerably.

5. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying the 128gb. I plan on moving my photos to the cloud, as well as most of my documents. I am a little worried the music and movies, but I just downloaded itunes match- which I believe will help it.

I have 15 days to test it out and potentially return if there are issues.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

You're gonna love it. Congrats!

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

IMNSHO 128 gig is too small. 256 is (for my use case) the bare minimum, I opted for the 512 so I had some room to grow.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I got the 512gb i7 model because I am running Windows via BootCamp. Plenty of space and I carry over 250gb of pictures, images, Word and Excel files all the time. These files are all synced with DropBox.

9. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I use drop box, iCloud, and some very good thumb drives for my pictures/music, and have had 74 GB drives without hitting a ceiling in storage. I can opt for 128 GB without issues either, but this all depends on the user, and if they want to keep everything under the sun on their system.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I wish I sprung for the 500GB SSD instead of the 250. I can't even fit my entire music collection on here, so I have that on my Mini instead, and use iTunes Match as-needed on the Air.

11. nexus4life macrumors regular

Google Music and Radiant Player - best thing I ever did to my music and it now takes up zero space on my SSD but yet it's as if it was all there.

Congrats on the purchase - did you check out some of the deals posted on front page of this site? For example, best buy has been selling new MacBooks for about $100 each off average. If not, may as well take it back and save the $100.

Rumors are always in full effect - and it's entirely possible that Apple will release a new MacBook air retina later this year, but you can sell your current one and pay probably a max of couple hundred to grab the latest.