MacBook Air ram/processor help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pearsonnunn, Jun 12, 2013.

1. pearsonnunn macrumors newbie

I have posted on this site a couple of times in the last few weeks and have decided to go with the 11 inch macbook air with a 128gb hard drive. The hard drive space isn’t important because I have external storage, and I’ve been working with the same size hard drive so I am use to it. My only remaining questions are how much ram do you think I need and which processor do you think will better suite my needs? I game and most of my games require 2ghz processors, so the question is does turbo boost count toward the minimum requirements? So would it be a better idea to go with the i7 because it is faster or is the i5 ok for gaming? If neither work then it's ok because I have a xbox 360 too (I just prefer doing everything on my computer). Next is the ram I would like to keep this macbook for about 4 year and maybe more, so would it be a good idea to try to future proof it by upgrading to the 8gb of ram? Or will 4gb be enough to make it through a few years of os x updates? Besides light to moderate gaming I won’t be running any resource heavy apps. Any help is appreciated!

2. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

Was hoping to buy this by tomorrow (need it for work) so ANY help would be helpful!

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Wait for cpu benchmarks, whether i5 or i7. But for ram you should go with 8GB ram if you want to keep your mac for future updates.

4. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Max out the ram and CPU

Max out the ram and CPU

5. technowar macrumors 6502

If you are into games, you should consider getting the i7. If not, i5 should be fine. But then again, you may use it for some gaming and some work, so take the i7. No doubt about it.