Macbook Air RAM Question With Regards to Pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Interdimension, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Interdimension macrumors newbie

Best Buy has the 13" MacBook Air for $899 (well, really for $999, but they're taking $100 off for students with a .edu email). However, it's the standard model with only 4GB of RAM.

In short, is having only 4GB of RAM that big of an issue/deal? Enough to be worth shelling out an extra $400? ...since the only way of acquiring an MBA with 8GB of RAM would be through Apple for $1199.

I understand that RAM is important, but I'm on the fence here. I'm a Junior in high school at the moment, and I expect to make use of this MBA throughout college until I graduate, meaning this MBA will get roughly six years of usage.

So I'm aware that adding extra RAM would be future-proofing it. But is it enough to justify spending that extra $400?

Tax not considered since I'm buying during the tax-free weekend in my state. Also, I have a $50 Best Buy Reward Zone certificate lying around that's due for expiration in October, bringing my total (if bought at Best Buy) to $849.

2. surroundfan macrumors 6502

There is no such thing as a future-proof computer. :)

It depends on what you want to use the computer for.

If it's just web, iTunes, Word and the like, you'll be fine, particularly with Mavericks' improvements in memory use.

If you want to do video editing, not so much...

But the $300 saving ($1199-$899 = $300 :p) and the $500 of resale will make it easier to justify an upgrade in 3-4 years (which you'll probably want to do anyway)...

3. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

It's be cheaper and simpler to water proof computer equipment than to future proof it.

4. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Sounds like something gandhi would say :D

5. Interdimension thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware that it's impossible to future proof a computer of any sort. I was just taking into account the fact that more RAM is constantly needed as the years go by in the tech world :p