Macbook Air Randomly Shuts off

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KaileyRae911, Dec 4, 2013.

1. KaileyRae911 macrumors newbie

My MacBook air randomly keeps shutting off, doesn't seem to matter on the battery level or whether it is plugged in or not. Mostly happens when I am watching some sort of video, but not in all cases. Pushing the power button does not turn it back on, only way to do is by plugging in the power cord. Not sure if this is fixable on my own or if anyone knows what is causing the problem? VERY annoying!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like a hardware issue - take it into apple so they can check it out.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

if this is a few years old Macbook (please always furnish that information) the battery is probably on its deadbed.

4. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Could be.

But thermal shutdown (the correct technical term) I've seen, you have to wait for the thing to cool back down before it allows you to power it back up again (resets the breakers so to speak). That powers right back up when AC plugged in is what makes me suspicious of the battery.

6. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I didn't notice where he said he has to plug it in. Agree- either the battery or the interface to the battery has a problem.

7. englisa macrumors newbie

I am just about to go into Apple store repair number 4 (on my 11inch MBA bought in Dec 2012) for a problem that started exactly like this - ie shutting down without warning, (also randomly normally when I was watching streaming videos), this gradually started happening more frequently, but ended up one day with the spinning rainbow wheel which wouldn't stop even after 30 minutes, so I did a forced shut down, and after that got the question mark screen of death and learnt all data lost on my laptop when I went into Apple store to find out what was wrong: so I suggest you back up everything asap.

• 1st repair 4th Nov 2013: they replaced the hard drive/solid state drive; same problem with the random self-shut downs started again, getting more frequent.
    • 2nd repair a week later: - took it out back and fixed some "lose connection" of unspecified nature. Worked for about 24 hours.
    • 3rd repair got it back 2.5 week later: replaced logic board, and that didn't work when they tested it, so they replaced the SSD again! Lasted 2 days.
    • About to go in for 4th time repair: if I shut down (power cable out), and then plug in the power cable the computer restarts itself (this was also something that started happening after the first repair, ie 1st SSD replacement). The battery is also heating more than before problems all started.

I am basically hoping that if I beg nicely enough I will get a totally new replacement, rather than having to endure another round of repairs.

Basically if you are getting random shut downs or power ups I seriously recommend you save all your data asap and get your laptop to an Apple store.

8. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Random question, but do you keep your iphone/cellphone/ipad/ipodtouch anywhere near your MBA? Or anything with a magnet in it, like a magnetic case? The magnet in the device/case can interfere with the magnet in the laptop, unknowingly activating sleep mode.

9. dmarnel macrumors newbie

This VERY SAME thing just started happening with my MBA (2009). I've only had it happen twice now while viewing streaming video. I have to plug in the power cord to get it to turn back on. Were you able to resolve your issue?