Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
I don't expect things to be too different, but I'd imagine we'd see some sort of re-design next year.

Well I was hoping they would do that this year, along with battery improvements. Not sure if I'm gunna wait a year and let my MBP chug along for a bit longer, or get the new MBA in the next few weeks

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well I was hoping they would do that this year, along with battery improvements. Not sure if I'm gunna wait a year and let my MBP chug along for a bit longer, or get the new MBA in the next few weeks

But again, I wouldn't expect anything drastic. Some wouldn't call the rMBP a re-design of the older MBP, but it is. There's only so much you can do to change the look of an aluminum case.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
But again, I wouldn't expect anything drastic. Some wouldn't call the rMBP a re-design of the older MBP, but it is. There's only so much you can do to change the look of an aluminum case.

Hardware redesign yes, but its not (imo) an aesthetics redesign. But yeah I agree probably wont see the casing change anytime soon! I might wait for next year as then HOPEFULLY they will atleast upgrade the MBA screen quality. Plus then I will get university discount!

----------

Even though then. my uMBP mid 2009 will be worth even less on resale:(

PhD Chick

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Norwich, UK
I think a screen update is overdue - I don't think it needs a retina display as that would push both the price and weight up (which is completely defeats the point of the MBA), but a slight increase in resolution would be good. I'd also love it if they introduced a version that was the same colour as the back of the iPhone 5, because that would look sweeeeeeet.

Other than that I'm not really fussed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
I think a screen update is overdue - I don't think it needs a retina display as that would push both the price and weight up (which is completely defeats the point of the MBA), but a slight increase in resolution would be good. I'd also love it if they introduced a version that was the same colour as the back of the iPhone 5, because that would look sweeeeeeet.

Other than that I'm not really fussed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

A slate MBA would look pretty epic :p and yeah think im gunna keep my uMBP for another yet then get shot of it :)

Orka

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2012
Moscow, Russia
The only thing I'd change is that black plastic thing on the back. I know there is antenna inside, so it probably won't be easy, they have to work it through somehow.

I just don't like how unreliable it feels when i carry my laptop, it's like that thing will break, it flexes and plays a bit.

james1758

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2013
UK
Screen update
Even lighter(not thinner)
Black bezel?
Thinner bezel width

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Screen update
Even lighter(not thinner)
Black bezel?
Thinner bezel width

Agreed on screen update and thinner bezel. I was extremely disappointed that they didn't have at least thinner bezel. The Macbook Air has a larger footprint than the Macbook Pro ... and the Air is supposed to be their smallest laptop..

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Agreed on screen update and thinner bezel. I was extremely disappointed that they didn't have at least thinner bezel. The Macbook Air has a larger footprint than the Macbook Pro ... and the Air is supposed to be their smallest laptop..

A thinner bezel (with the same size screen) would mean a smaller chassis and a smaller battery. I hope they can work around this on the next version, as a smaller footprint would be fantastic.

papet88

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
USA
Yeah spose they can't change the way it looks aesthetically apart from different colours :p and yeah I'm waiting on a retina MBA
I don't think there will ever be a The MacBook Air with retina because retina has two layers of glass and glass is too heavy for the super light MBA. I think the almost unnoticeable changes they make to the MBA is a good way forward. Keep it's minimalistic and unique look but improve it's performance.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Black bezel?

No way. A black bezel on aluninum means anodizing, and you've seen all the complaints about how an anodized slate iPhone 5 looks after you scuff and scratch it.

Now, imagine all the scuffing and scratching on a larger scale, MacBook-sized. No thanks!

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
No way. A black bezel on aluninum means anodizing, and you've seen all the complaints about how an anodized slate iPhone 5 looks after you scuff and scratch it.

Now, imagine all the scuffing and scratching on a larger scale, MacBook-sized. No thanks!

Ever seen a MBP?

triplenick

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
New York
A full HD display (1920x1080p) would make the MBA, with its other current specs, the best laptop in the market for me.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Hi guys,

Whats peoples thoughts on when/if they will re-design what the macbook air looks like? Its been the same design since 2008, and whilst a LOT has changed inside, nothings changed on the outside (with regards to looks).

By next years WWDC it will be 6 years of the same design, when will it get a re-design..?

Retina, HDMI, 1080p FaceTime, 5th gen Intel processors, that's it.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Hello!

I think we will see a redesign next year, it won't be drastically different (probably cMBP -> rMBP) but I expect the thick end will be a bit thinner.

I also think next year we will see a better screen (IPS or Retina).

Maybe 8GB ram standard on the top end 13" (or maybe 16gb option). Bigger SSD options (provided the same is true for rMBP).

New intel processors and GFX. Also if Apple implements the combined USB/SD card slot I think (hope?) we get 2 ThunderBolt 2 ports on the 13" at least.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Actually I could see Apple making it thinner. That's their schtick. The MBA could theoretically made about the same thickness as an iPad 4. Everybody would complain about the case being permanently glued together and the battery being part of the screen, but they would get over it.

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
Is it possible they might use carbon fiber in the future? I believe Sony is using it in their latest ultra books and they are very light.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Is it possible they might use carbon fiber in the future? I believe Sony is using it in their latest ultra books and they are very light.

I believe they also bend a lot more, not because they're not strong (carbon fibre is very strong) but the fact that carbon fibre allows for bending which could make people feel worse about using it or give off a 'flimsy' impression.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I heard the early prototypes they made golf clubs out of liquid metal and they shattered after 50ish hits :p

Hey, if they made a MBA I could smash against the floor full force 49 times I'd be pretty happy.

My general design thoughts - the design and size are dictated by the keyboard, trackpad and screen. Edge-to-edge glass would be nice. Thinner bezel would be nice. Larger screen in same form would be nice.

But the basic design is perfection. And so is the wedge. It shouts out (even though it's not really true) "Hey, we only made it thicker so there'd be room to press the keys down"

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
They could make the bezel smaller, make the display larger while maintaining the same footprint, use a higher resolution lower power screen, make a black anodized case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.