MacBook Air reboot - fatory reset fail

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Emillyngholm, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Emillyngholm macrumors newbie

I did just try to factory reset, I think I did delet it all but I don't really know. But when Iam trying to install iOS on my Mac it just says "OS X can't be installed on the Macintosh HD, because a recovery system can't be created.

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Which MacBook Air? How did you perform a "factory reset"? How are you reloading OSX?

3. Emillyngholm thread starter macrumors newbie

I did just follow a video on YouTube, and i think I did something wrong so tried again. My MacBook Air is the new one from 2013 can't remember more, and when I try to install OS X Mountain lion the it says error.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

But how are you installing OSX, from a CD/DVD, USB drive or via the network/internet?

5. Emillyngholm thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on the computer, or then it's the network.

6. jay47 macrumors member

You erased your hard drive using disk utility before attempting to install OS X .

The recovery partition is now gone . You will need to reinstall using a USB/DVD or internet recovery .

Do NOT erase the hard drive before installing OS X or you will continue seeing this error message .

Dont ask me why this happens , i have no clue .

I do know i had this same exact problem & could only fix it by not erasing my HD prior to installing OS X . Even after it completed successfully i still didnt have my recovery partition back & had to reinstall a 2nd time without erasing my HD to get it back .

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your 2013 model can do a full Internet recovery even without the recovery system being on the internal drive (it sounds like you erased it).

Do this... hold command-option-r (all three keys at once) when you boot and then login to your wifi. You will see a spinning globe while the recovery system downloads. Then you will see this screen.

[​IMG]

Start Disk Utility and in the erase tab select the drive brand name at the very top then erase the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quite Disk Util and click reinstall OS X. Now wait for the ~5GB OS to download and install and you will be back in business.