Macbook Air Refresh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tyler29294, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tyler29294 macrumors newbie

My question is, Are the rumors of a new macbook air in june with sandybridge/thunderbolt probable? Or is it just another crazy theory? And if they are even slightly true would buying a 11" air be worth it now?

2. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

Most likely just crazy talk. They just went through a major redesign. If they wanted to add sandybridge, they would have built that into their launch roadmap. Apple went with the MBA's current processors because they sip power while faster processors would greatly diminish MBA's battery time.

I shopped for a MBP for months, then jumped on the MBA Ultimate at launch. I always go for a max'ed out machine, but finally realized the MBA did everything I needed it too.

3. Tyler29294 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that's what I was figuring. Will most likely get a maxed out 11" as soon as I can.

4. er2429 macrumors member

5. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Sorry for sounding dumb but sometimes its hard to sift through people who truly know what they are talking about, and the people who defend Apple's decisions to the point that they make up justifications on why something "can't" be done. (ie, "The Macbook Air lack a backlit keyboard and quality webcam because its so thin" is bogus and we're sure to see it next gen)

So is there any solid reasoning for why sandy bridge CANT be put in the Air as a spec upgrade in June? Does the chip run hot or is it too big or something? I had the latest 13" Macbook Air but returned it because, for the price, the specs simply were way too out of date for a $1000+ computer. But drop in an i3 Sandy bridge and i'll buy.

6. Yinmay macrumors regular

Nope, none. Sandy Bridge didn't make it when the Air was last refreshed simply because they weren't available at the time.

Next iteration of the 13" Air will get the i7 2629M and i7 2649M (and therefore HD3000 instead of nVidia 320m). MiniDisplay port will be replaced with the Thunderbolt port.
    Backlit keyboard and higher res webcam are technically possible but subject to Apple's generosity.
    No other changes will occur except perhaps a reduction in price due to SSD getting cheaper over time (hopefully... unless Apple continues to be greedy bast***s, e.g. SSD upgrades in Feb '11 MBP are still the same price as April '10 MBP, I mean seriously? wtf!)