MacBook Air - Remote Management prompt

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nyzwerewolf, Oct 21, 2018.

1. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

Hello fellow Mac users,

After installing macOS High Sierra on my MacBook Air and connecting to Wi-Fi, I get a prompt with the below message:

"Remote management enables the administrator of "Grovo Learning Inc" to set up email and network accounts, install and configure apps and management this computer's settings".

I bought this MacBook Air from eBay in March, 2016 (new condition, with plastic wrapping on the box) and have been using it without any issues. I have never seen this message before.

I saw a similar thread on https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...e-management-step-when-installing-high-sierra it claims that the computer was once enrolled in Device Enrollment and was either lost/stolen & sold elsewhere.

Like to hear your thoughts and what I should do next.

Cheers,
    Low

2. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

It’s very possible this MacBook is stolen before it reached the owner.

It appears that it is enrolled in DEP and managed by an MDM.

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The MacBook may not be stolen and was simply excess stock that was returned to a leading company.

I recommend contacting the company to see if they can remotely remove the software.

4. nyzwerewolf thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the prompt responses. I was able to get in touch with the seller. It was not stolen but was a legit sell as the device was purchased from his company. Since the seller is from the same city, he has offered to help and the company has agreed to remove the device from the MDM. I will post an update in the next few days.