MacBook Air replaced... After sizzling.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iBookG4user, Jun 20, 2009.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My MacBook Air has started to intermittently make an odd sound. It sounds similar to something sizzling, I have an audio recording of it although I had to amplify the sound because the iPhone didn't pick up the sound very well. Anyone know what's wrong? I did a search and it yielded no results. I'm worried about my computer. I just got it back from Apple repairing it on Thursday...

See Post #5 for replacement story.

Attached Files:

2. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i owned an air for awhile and I've never heard that sound...i heard some weird beeps and hard drive clicks (apple repaired) but I never heard that before...might what to take it back to apple...play them the recording if you can't reproduce it on the spot, maybe they've heard it before and know what the problem is

3. veterator macrumors member

veterator

Occasionally the good folks at Apple have to rework their repairs. I would take it back and have it checked out.

4. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

My Air's fan crapped out and made a horrible noise. Is it a mechanical noise? If you've got an SSD, the fan should really be the only thing that could be making the sound. Does it stop when you unplug the power cable?

5. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ok, I sent an email on monday night to sjobs@apple.com and told the history of my MacBook Air and that I was concerned about the safety of it. The next morning I got a call from Matt, who works in Cupertino headquarters, who said he was calling on behalf of Steve Jobs regarding the safety of the MacBook Air. I talked to him for a couple of minutes and then he transferred me over to Engineering.

Steven then asked me about 30 or so questions about the MacBook Air, specifically about the sizzling sound. After that he sent an email to the head engineer and he told me that he would call me back once he heard from the head engineer (I had emailed him the sound recording as well). Early the next morning I get a call from Steven again and he told me that the computer would need a repair (I think that anyone could have figured that out) and also to expect a phone call from Matt to discuss the options.

About two hours later I get a call from Matt and he offers to replace the computer. I replied by saying that would be agreeable. Once I got the FedEx labels in my email I rushed off to the closest FedEx and mailed the computer. So now I'm expecting a brand new MacBook Air!

But I had more trouble with that MacBook Air than any Apple customer should ever have. I took it to the Genius Bar 3 times, called Apple many times, multiple repairs and it finally took nearly starting a fire in the computer to get them to give me a replacement... If anyone thinks that getting a replacement is easy, you're very mistaken.

Here's the email that I sent to SJobs@apple.com (Beware, long.):

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Awesome service right there, congrats and enjoy your new MBA.

7. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

now sell the brand new air and buy the 13" mbp....that's what i would do anyway

8. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Glossy is bad enough, I could never stand glassy! And I really like the portability of the MacBook Air anyway, it's the perfect size :)

9. Balthezor macrumors member

Balthezor

The same reason why I bought a 2.13 Air instead of the new 13" MBP. The glossy screen sucks ass.