Macbook Air resolution question - text not crisp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BBB3000, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BBB3000 macrumors newbie

I have the 13" Macbook Air (mid-2011 model). I found the text to generally be too small on the default resolution so I changed it from 1440x900 to 1280x800. Everything is bigger but the text actually looks slightly blurry and not nearly as crisp or sharp as before. Is this expected? How can i make everything bigger without losing the crispness??

2. stchman macrumors 6502a

You're running the LCD in a non-native resolution. This results in blurry text. Switch it back to 1440x900 and change the system font size.

In order to change the font size you will need to install Tinker Tool. Apparently Apple thinks they know what's the best font size for your eyes.

3. BBB3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for that tip. Exactly what I needed. I am brand new to macs (less than 1 week) so I'm trying to learn the ropes.

Any other nice tips you think you can share?

Lastly - my fonts are still a little too small in Chrome & Safari when viewing Gmail, CNN, and numerous other websites. Any specific tips to fix this? Yes I can zoom in on the page but prefer a permanent solution.

4. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

When Safari is open, click "Safari" on the Menu Bar and then click "Preferences". From there, click "Advanced". Check the box that says "Never use font size smaller than" and change the value from 9 to something higher (I would suggest 12-14). This will make the text bigger.

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Just hit Command and + in most browsers to make the page larger. Use Command and - to make it smaller.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

7. BBB3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I found that TinkerTool helped address the problem across the system (in most places) and both Chrome and Safari allow fonts to be increased from within the program. The combination of the two fixed my small font size.

Thanks again everyone for the help.