Macbook Air Rev B Default Available Space and Vmware/Vista

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slaphotk, Mar 21, 2009.

1. slaphotk macrumors member

Thinking about getting an Air Rev B with the 128GB SSD. I know that several trial programs are installed (Office and Iwork?). What is the default available drive space out of the box? Also considering installing Vware or Parallels with either XP pro or Vista. Given the 2GB of ram, how much ram is typically allocated to each of these VM's to balance performance on the VM side as well as the OSX side?

TIA

2. stoconnell macrumors 6502

Well, I just picked up one of these, and the default install takes up 18Gi out of 113Gi available based on df -h / in the terminal window. It comes installed with iLife on it, which eats up a fair amount of space (esp. GarageBand -- which is close to 2Gi). If you foresee needing more free space, a reinstall with single language and no printer drivers and selected bits of iLife would reduce the on disk footprint of the base OS considerably. Not sure about the RAM settings for VMs, I am guessing you'd want to use XP if you can get away with it and start with smallish amount and increase if need be. I have no first hand experience with either Parallels, VMware Fusion or Virtualbox.

3. DocGo macrumors member

My RevB 128GB SSD MBA came with 111GB memory (with iWork '09 preinstalled). Right now, I still have 29GB free after installing Office 2004 9didn't upgrade to the 2008 version yet), all my itunes music/videos (about 40GB), and VMWare with MSXPpro. I don't see any slow down with performance.

4. slaphotk thread starter macrumors member

Vmare memory

Thanks for the reply..How much memory do you have allocated to your VMware image?

5. DocGo macrumors member

I think VMWare allocates 40gb by default....I couldn't find a way to change it...I tried using the settings but it still shows 40gb. RAM you can change...mine defaulted at 512mb but I increased it to 1GB.