MacBook Air Rev. B problems with RunCore

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dcranston, Oct 19, 2010.

1. dcranston macrumors member

I finally caved and got the RunCore SSD 128GB when my HDD failed in my MacBook Air Rev. B... it's been nothing but a pain, but i can't track down why. Does anyone with a RunCore have any thoughts?

1. The drive seemed to have a ton of difficulties connecting over USB, but I couldn't figure out if it was simply a touchy connector.

2. I finally managed to install an OS after many tries via USB.

3. I have managed to get the MBA to boot from the internal SATA drive a few times, but it tends to freeze up a few minutes in. Generally, however, it won't boot. This seems like a connection issue, but when I remove the case and plug in the USB<->SATA connector to plug into another machine (while leaving the SDD inside the MBA), the drive seems to mount fine.

4. If i plug in my old HDD, it works and boots fine, but tells me the drive is failing and I need to backup my files.

So...i'm at a loss. Based on #3, I'd think I have a SATA controller issue on the logic board. Based on #4 and #2, I'd think I have a bad SATA cable or SDD connectors.

Sometimes when I boot in verbose mode, it will fail to read the kernel. Sometimes it will do just fine until it fails on a drive I/O error. Sometimes it will start to boot and the fail to find the media. Sometimes it will actually boot. I'm baffled, and these issues only exist with the SSD, not the HDD. Is there something fundamentally different about how the OS works with each? Would a faulty SATA controller cause a more pronounced erratic problem like this for an SSD and show signs of HD failure for an HDD?

Thanks to anyone who might have any thoughts. This has been frustrating me for over a week now! I've probably installed the drive 30 times with different results every time...

2. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I assume you have not got apple care or a local repair centre.

And your new Runcore dose not work inside the macbook air? Could be a lose connection or something more serious.