Macbook Air Rev. C battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sofaking30, Jun 13, 2009.

1. sofaking30 macrumors newbie

can anybody post their results? i think there should be a consolidated list of revs with battery life/usage for a direct comparison. post your rev a and b results too...

2. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Im seeing about 30 minutes extra. I also finding the battery charges much quicker.

3. stoconnell macrumors 6502

Faster charge time would be welcome indeed. I think the MBAs battery seems to be a slow charger.

4. sofaking30 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have an exact number?

^^^

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm at 4:30 Hours w/ Vista Virtual Machine running. Recharging takes about 2 hours from 0->~90% for me now compared to my rev A which 0->80% takes ~3 hours.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I hadn't thought of these differences with charging, but I remember my rev B taking forever the first few weeks. My new MBA charges in a few hours. In addition, I turned the display down to three bars from bottom yesterday and got over 4:30. Was in dark lighting and wanted to see how long it could last. I never tried that with my other MBA. At the same time, even when turning display down to half brightness, I never got more than 3:15. Overall, the battery is better!

7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Why does Rev. C have better battery life than Rev. B? I see that the battery increased to 40 wH from 37 wH, but is that enough to account for the stated 30 min extra? Is this better battery life replicable?

8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

That sounds similar to revision B - what's the time of full charge?

9. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I noticed today at the apple store when comparing my Rev b, that the screen on the Rev C was 1 or two steps dimmer at full brightness!

10. haoqfu macrumors regular

just wondering if the charging time means charging while using mba or charging while completely shut down?

11. iaymnu macrumors 6502

+1

my 2.13/ssd is a 1 step dimmer @ full brightness. I am happy since i don't have those dreaded lines. :D

12. pinchu71 macrumors newbie

i wonder if the battery in the air rev c, has 1000 cycles as the new battery technology found in the macbook pro line, or is the same old technology found in previous laptops (300 cycles of recharge)

13. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Yes and no:

I'm probably not the only person wondering if this battery would fit in revision B Air...

14. Shrek-Moscow macrumors member

Umm..
    my rev A is showing 245 cycles and 94% capacity, when new was about 98%.. how it's possible that it will drop to around 80% in 55 more cycles?

It looks that, to lose another 4%, I'll have to make another 250 cycles!
    90% @ 500 cycles? may be than it will drop faster to 80%.. but the figure of 80% @ 300 cycles looks to me irrealistic even on rev A.

Are you shure that MBA battery, since the beginning, has not always been a member of the "80%-@-1000cycl." family??

15. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

This estimate just refers to Apple's battery replacement policy - you don't have to pay if it drops below 80% with less than 300 cycles, in the first year. Even previous generation MB/MBPs batteries sometimes remained above 90% at over 300 cycles. It really differs between units, I'm at 44 cycles and battery health is 92%. I think Air's battery had perhaps increased capacity, but apparently not increased lifespan.

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I am highly skeptical that apple's new batteries will perform like new for 1000 charge cycles. Why? Because I don't see how Apple could out-invent dedicated battery companies. If this tech were promising, we'd be hearing about it. HP has a battery made by Boston battery that is supposed to be just like Apple's, but I don't know much more than that. Second, Apple is well-known to exaggerate claims, more so than their competitors. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. They aren't shy to call the ability to record video an amazing new feature in the new iphone 3gs, nor about their LED screens being mercury free and brighter, etc, as if other notebooks' led screens are different.

17. Vorst macrumors member

Yes!! Apple created their own battery technology. Each cell in the battery pack is charged separately and is processor controlled, to give the most optimal charging cycle. Other manufacturer batteries are charged till a certain voltage is reached and then stop charging. Go to Apple website and search for the video which explains the technology in detail.

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If its 750 cycles... then I'm happy. I'm already at 70 cycles for my Rev C and I've owned the system for just 3 weeks