Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganos-lal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Im new here... my names Mike, im 22 from the UK. So hey! :)

I have a question. If anyone can answer it for me then id be greatful.

Im thinking of getting the air. But i really love the new mackbooks black bezel around the screen and the edge to edge glass, i also like the new trackpads.

Does anyone know whether apple are intending to put these to features into the rev. C of the macbook air, (and when will rev. C be launched?). Or whether there sticking to the current looks, aluminium bezel around screen etc?

Thanks guys!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'm just guessing here, but I'd say they will unify the line and have it adopt the other macbooks' looks. That being said, I won't expect a revision for a while, very possibly into 2010. I say this because Intel's product roadmap doesn't really allow for anything new until that time. It's probable they could push out a speed bump, but that wouldn't necessitate a case overhaul.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
There have been some rumors about the Rev.C containing a 2.13GHz processor, with it being even quieter and more power efficient. However, as usual, nothing has been confirmed.

Personally, I think the next revision will include a glass trackpad, as it really is a joy to use (although, some believe that the glass trackpad is too thick for the MBA). However, I don't think we will see the glass display, as I'd imagine that the glass adds a relatively significant amount of weight to the product. Plus, it adds a huge amount of gloss to it, which Apple likes, but I don't.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm just guessing here, but I'd say they will unify the line and have it adopt the other macbooks' looks. That being said, I won't expect a revision for a while, very possibly into 2010.

Why 2010? Apple won't wait for mobile Nehalem's when Intel just introduced the new 17W Core 2 Duo's. Plus, it's a MacBook. Apple refreshes their MB/MBP lines nearly every 6 months. The first MacBook Air revision occurred just 8 months after the initial release. I don't see why Apple would wait 14+ months for the Rev.C.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
Im new here... my names Mike, im 22 from the UK. So hey! :)

I have a question. If anyone can answer it for me then id be greatful.

Im thinking of getting the air. But i really love the new mackbooks black bezel around the screen and the edge to edge glass, i also like the new trackpads.

Does anyone know whether apple are intending to put these to features into the rev. C of the macbook air, (and when will rev. C be launched?). Or whether there sticking to the current looks, aluminium bezel around screen etc?

Thanks guys!
Well, I think its safe to say that you won't find anyone who has an authoritative answer to that - in other words, no one but Apple know this for sure.

You are one of the few people who want a ultra-glossy display(I don't care strongly, but the black bezel is pretty cool), and I would guess(again, just a guess) that it will not be coming to the Air. That is because the glass would add substantial wait and bulk.
And the release date, well, we can hope for June-August, but not likely for a major update till November. Depends on how badly you want/need a laptop now. If you need it soon, I'd say old out al long as possible, then get it, if a new one comes out within 14 days, you can return yours. Good luck!
SG :apple:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Why 2010? Apple won't wait for mobile Nehalem's when Intel just introduced the new 17W Core 2 Duo's. Plus, it's a MacBook. Apple refreshes their MB/MBP lines nearly every 6 months. The first MacBook Air revision occurred just 8 months after the initial release. I don't see why Apple would wait 14+ months for the Rev.C.

That will be a speed bump. Same chipset, same form factor (likely I'm guessing). Nehalem will be the next full-fledged update.

ganos-lal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Apple are awful at letting things slip about future releases! It never happens! I bought a white macbook last jan. within 3 weeks theyd anounced the refresh! Really irritating. I did sell it 6 months later tho. lol Found leopard as buggy as vista and got fed up dual booting so i could use autocad. i found parallels to slow.

i then bought a top top spec dell xps m1330. This is my grunt machine. The one i will do all my autoCAD on and all technical stuff. I want the air to be word processing, media and internet, and, with me at all times.

I love the thinness, but was looking at macbooks in the local shop and, i must admit i fell for the new macbooks. and theres very little in the weight between the two. But i am a sucker for thin/light/tiny technology

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
What mandates it being called Rev. C? Where's the precedent? Rev. B got a whole new chipset. What makes you think that isn't the threshold?

A speed bump is an update, but the OP is specifically referring to a new Rev, possibly including case design changes.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
What mandates it being called Rev. C? Where's the precedent? Rev. B got a whole new chipset. What makes you think that isn't the threshold?
What makes you think it is?

If the chipset is the threshold, then the Rev. B MacBook Pro would be the Santa Rosa one, when Mac Guides says it's the May 2006 update. (If you ask me, that change is too small for a Rev. increment and I would have called the Merom MacBook Pro "Rev. B.")

A speed bump is an update, but the OP is specifically referring to a new Rev, possibly including case design changes.
The OP is referring to whether or not the Rev. C will have those changes.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
What makes you think it is?

If the chipset is the threshold, then the Rev. B MacBook Pro would be the Santa Rosa one, when Mac Guides says it's the May 2006 update. (If you ask me, that change is too small for a Rev. increment and I would have called the Merom MacBook Pro "Rev. B.")

That's my point. We don't know what a new Rev will constitute. That's why we need to be clear what kind of update constitutes a new Rev in order to properly answer the OP.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
And no, I don't think it's "new chipset."

That's fine and dandy, but I'm trying to determine when the next possible case revision could happen, since the OP is looking forward to that if it's going to happen. Because of that, I guessed next year. If he's only looking for a small processor bump in an update, it will likely happen this year as there are new low power chips coming from Intel, as noted.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I love the thinness, but was looking at macbooks in the local shop and, i must admit i fell for the new macbooks. and theres very little in the weight between the two. But i am a sucker for thin/light/tiny technology

Maybe on the surface, but pick it up and you'll say otherwise. When you really do own an Air and see how easy it makes taking a notebook around, and how you can still be just as productive on it as a notebook double the weight, then you realize why people buy it over the less expensive, better-speced MacBook.

1.5LB seems like an insignificant amount on the surface, but after integrating the MacBook Air into your life, that 1.5LB's is colossal.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
Maybe on the surface, but pick it up and you'll say otherwise. When you really do own an Air and see how easy it makes taking a notebook around, and how you can still be just as productive on it as a notebook double the weight, then you realize why people buy it over the less expensive, better-speced MacBook.

1.5LB seems like an insignificant amount on the surface, but after integrating the MacBook Air into your life, that 1.5LB's is colossal.
It's a tiny amount of weight, but when you think about how 1.5LBs is half the weight of the MBA, you realize the difference. Doesn't make a huge deal when comparing heavy laptops, but when its ultra-portables, you realize the difference.
SG :apple:

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
The first MacBook Air revision occurred just 8 months after the initial release. I don't see why Apple would wait 14+ months for the Rev.C.

Yes! And that took 8 months considering it got a huge reengineering to address the issues on the Rev. A.

A Rev. C could be just a bump on the system specs, adjusting it to match manufacturing costs according to its current price tag.

I think that we won't be seeing any major design changes for a quite time. 14 months later, it's still a wonderful piece of engineering and design, and still wasn't beat by rival companies -- I think only that Lenovo can match it from a configuration perspective, but definitely not on design and aesthetics.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Historically apple products get several refreshes between major redesigns. I would predict at least one but more likely two or three internal updates before the external case/screen/trackpad are updated.

And yes, each update is a revision, they are generally spaced 6 or more months apart and it is what the MacRumors buyers guide uses to predict updates.

qubex

macrumors 6502
Just to echo the original poster's sentiment: I too am looking for an ultraportable to replace my heavy-but-not-fast-enough MacBookPro (mid-2008). I'm also hoping for a black bezel/glass trackpad revision. I've been resisting the temptation of buying a Rev. B 1.8GHz/128GB SSD machine for several weeks now, I'm really hoping there'll be a refresh soon so I can make my purchase certain in the knowledge it'll be obsolete-proof for at least six months.

I really wish Apple made their refresh times more widely known. I know they do it to maintain their sales volumes, but it really does put consumers into a constant state of anxiety.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
If those are your main priorities, then I'd say you're better off getting the top-end MacBook, either now or when they bump it a little in the next couple of months. Will save you disappointment further down the road.

The MBA will never get the black bezel IMO - not only is the glass front not adaptable to the MBA (for weight and possibly closing tolerance reasons) there is already a design precedent...the MBA is not the only 'odd one out'. The new unibody MBP 17 with optional 'matte' display has a silver bezel just like the MBA.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I too am looking for an ultraportable to replace my heavy-but-not-fast-enough MacBookPro (mid-2008). I'm also hoping for a black bezel/glass trackpad revision.
Just curious but what do you do usage-wise that makes a mid-2008 MBP with a Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.5GHz CPU "not fast enough" that you feel a slightly tweaked 1.86GHz similar CPU-powered MBA will solve?

I really wish Apple made their refresh times more widely known. I know they do it to maintain their sales volumes, but it really does put consumers into a constant state of anxiety.
As you say yourself, why would they? That 'anxiety' is like ambrosia to their beancounters. Or should that be blood? ;)

With WWDC coming up early June, you only technically have to hang on another month (mid-May) just on the (very good IMO) off-chance they'll update the MBA at that time at which point you can always return for the updated model. But don't expect any black bezel/glass gimmicks, it will almost certainly be a CPU and HD refresh only. I say only but that's what really matters at the end of the day. At a push, the only 'cosmetic' things I'd like is higher screen resolution and a thinner display bezel.

qubex

macrumors 6502
Just curious but what do you do usage-wise that makes a mid-2008 MBP with a Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.5GHz CPU "not fast enough" that a slightly tweaked 1.86GHz similar CPU-powered MBA will solve?
It's a fairly convoluted line of reasoning: my present machine is both bulky and slow. Thus it loses on both fronts: performance is so frustrating there's no point dragging it with me everywhere I go. However, if I had something drastically more portable and only half as fast, the overall index of satisfaction would sky-rocket.
As you say yourself, why would they? That 'anxiety' is like ambrosia to their beancounters. Or should that be blood? ;)
Most other hardware companies provide roadmaps to their corporate clients so they can make reasonable upgrade decisions.
With WWDC coming up early June, you only technically have to hang on another month (mid-May) just on the (very good IMO) off-chance they'll update the MBA at that time. But don't expect any black bezel/glass gimmicks, it will almost certainly be a CPU and HD refresh only. I say only but that's what really matters at the end of the day. At a push, the only 'cosmetic' things I'd like is higher screen resolution and a thinner display bezel.
Think of this: if I purchase a current model and they next refresh carries significant stylistic changes, my machine is not only obsolete but also manifestly so on an aesthetic level. If the next refresh does not carry a black bezel, nothing new; the risk is inherent not in them probably keeping things the same but in them possibly changing something.

That said, I have the feeling that the aesthetic disconnect between the MacBook/MacBookPro and MacBookAir lines probably annoys Mr. Jobs no end. If Apple decided to have black bezels around everything, pretty soon they'll all get it.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
It's a fairly convoluted line of reasoning: my present machine is both bulky and slow. Thus it loses on both fronts: performance is so frustrating there's no point dragging it with me everywhere I go. However, if I had something drastically more portable and only half as fast, the overall index of satisfaction would sky-rocket.

Most other hardware companies provide roadmaps to their corporate clients so they can make reasonable upgrade decisions.

Think of this: if I purchase a current model and they next refresh carries significant stylistic changes, my machine is not only obsolete but also manifestly so on an aesthetic level. If the next refresh does not carry a black bezel, nothing new; the risk is inherent not in them probably keeping things the same but in them possibly changing something.

That said, I have the feeling that the aesthetic disconnect between the MacBook/MacBookPro and MacBookAir lines probably annoys Mr. Jobs no end. If Apple decided to have black bezels around everything, pretty soon they'll all get it.
If your current 9-month old Penryn MBP is 'slow' then I suggest you address that directly with utility apps such as Activity Monitor for example. Doesn't sound right. I ask again, what are you using it for? What quantifies 'slow'? Because even with tweaked bus speeds and DDR3 as opposed to DDR2 memory, I don't think you'll notice a massive difference in performance (aside from if you go for the SSD but then that's a slightly different argument).

Not having a go but you sound like someone who is a bit p****d off because their less than 1 year old Mac now looks like an old one and doesn't like being seen with anything less than a 'new' model. In which case, just get the unibody MBP, no lighter than your current MBP of course, but it looks 'new' and will do so for a good 18 months at least. Plenty speedy too.

Not judging you by the way, each to their own, but I just wanted to clarify your real reasons for dumping your MBP to avoid giving advice that ultimately left you disappointed with a new purchase.

As I've already said, don't get hung up on the black bezel issue. There's no reason to expect convergence in terms of design, quite the opposite actually - it is sometimes better to visually delineate between models. Look at the white MB for instance still going strong. And as I also said, the new MBP 17 with matte option has the same silver bezel as the MBA, see?

silverbezeledmacbookpro.jpg

qubex

macrumors 6502
If your current 9-month old Penryn MBP is 'slow' then I suggest you address that directly with utility apps such as Activity Monitor for example. Doesn't sound right. I ask again, what are you using it for? What quantifies 'slow'? Because even with tweaked bus speeds and DDR3 as opposed to DDR2 memory, I don't think you'll notice a massive difference in performance (aside from if you go for the SSD but then that's a slightly different argument).
Seventy-thousand statement Mathematica financial models. I don't care if it's "fast" or "slow" (quantified in terms of brutal seconds between issuance and completion: modest number crunching session can last three or four hours on my current laptop), but I do desire it to remain "snappy" while it grinds away in the background. As a ballpark, if it handles moderately-hefty multimedia tasks suitably (such as light iMovie editing), you can be fairly sure it'll be reasonable while under heavy strain. While on the corporate network I can just offload the job to a cluster so it doesn't really matter, provided, as I stated, it remains non-frustrating.

I'm beyond doubt that the next refresh MBA will be slower than my current MBP (though I will opt for whatever SSD they have); my argument is that it will be more usable despite being slower because of the decreased annoyance of carrying it around.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
One more thing....whilst I don't agree the black bezel/glass design will make its way to the MBA for the reasons I've outlined above, if the product survives into 2010 and a rev.D, then it's very possible we will see aesthetic changes to the form factor, except it will be totally different to both the current MBA and MB/MBPs.

The carbon fibre rumour is still doing the rounds, but it wouldn't surprise me given the popularity of the old BlackBook (MB) to see a black/anthracite anodized aluminium finish on a rev.D MBA, similar to the finish on the black iPod nano and new shuffle. A stealth-like appearance for a stealth-like product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.