MacBook Air running Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by baseball0099, Jan 5, 2015.

1. baseball0099 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011) running OS X Yosemite. I recently installed Parallels 10 and Windows 7 on my internal drive. My mac starts working harder (the fan begins to spin faster) when I open windows, even to do the smallest of tasks. Is there anyway I can reinstall windows 7 on an external hard drive and only run windows when plugged in? Would that even help to keep my mac running efficiently?

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I do notice that running VMs prevent the CPU clock from going down like it usually does when the machine is under light load. Not sure why. Just having them running, even doing nothing on the VM, makes my macbooks run hotter.

if you install this software : https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

you can check if it is happening to your mba.

cheers

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

It's what I consider normal, the machine is working harder so it needs additional cooling.

4. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I can tell you that even when running Win7 on Bootcamp, the fans start to kick in quit quickly on my 2013 Air, so I think it is just down to the much less efficient OS.

5. baseball0099 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this bad for the longevity of the macbook?

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Not really.
    The biggest problem would be the dust builds up faster because the fans run faster. Make sure to open the machine every once in a while (annually or so) and clean out all the dust.

7. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I'm running XP and Parallels 10. I've had no problems with the fan coming on or slowing down my 2013 air 13".

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have a late new loaded MBAir with i7, 256 SSD running Win 7 Pro via Bootcamp and the fan does not run all the time. Most of the time you can not hear it and the laptop barely exceeds warm. But if you are using a CPU intensive software it will cause the fan to speed up. Office, photoshop and even 2D AutoCad will not cause the fan to race.