Macbook Air Screen is Terrible!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by XxpikachuxX, Sep 18, 2017.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

I can not believe apple sells this computer at 999 in 2017 without an IPS, moving the screen half an inch makes the colors look all washed and also the viewing angles are terrible, Windows laptops that cost half of that even come with HD and touchscreen! even chrome laptops have IPS at 300 dlls, Im fine with the resolution but everything looks blurry. I bought an air a week ago and i will return and stay with my 2013 MacBook retina a bit more, just saying apple should make an MacBook classic that has usb with an updated screen, some us really need those ports without carrying dongles

2. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I don't disagree with your comments but I doubt that apple will ever introduce a new model with legacy ports and a retina screen.

3. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

I agree that the Air has a terrible screen but it's a known fact. Also certain people don't really care much about it so yeah. It's still a good basic portable laptop.

4. Puddled macrumors regular

Puddled

A basic laptop with a crap screen for $1000 is Good?

5. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

The sad thing is it's the computer's single real weakness, but it's a fairly major one at this point, if they'd simply put a 1920x1200 IPS panel in, update the chips to KBL and maybe switch out the TB2 for a TB3 it'd be right back in the game against the likes of the XPS and spectre...

6. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

The retina 13" came out in 2012 and people have been able to compare the retina and air screens side-by-side in any apple store and people were/are still buying the Air. This leads me to believe that apple didn't feel a lot of pressure to change its screen or port configuration to compete with other notebook makers.

7. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Screen is one aspect of a laptop and for me and you an important one! But realize that many many people don't care about screen resolution. I had the MacBook Air from 2011 till recently (I bought the new MBP non-TB) and now it's night and day difference, if you never seen a screen that was a lot better it does not bother you as much. Also it's still a snappy laptop with very good battery life, has good connectivity (read legacy ports; USB A, but also high speed Thunderbolt 2 port for the time it's needed). I agree that it's not worth 1000$ but still it's a good laptop. I would love to see it go cheaper (won't happen) or go away in the foreseeable future when the MacBook replaces it.

8. Puddled macrumors regular

Puddled

So just change the screen, the pcb and the i/o and everything is rosy?

I feel like a troll here for stating the obvious , but the thing cost $1k As shipped?

Am I missing something?

9. Pugly macrumors regular

I wish Apple would have updated the screen at least once over the 7 years since the 2010 redesign. For the time being the Air is really the only affordable MacBook there is. And if you need macOS or the ports, you are stuck with 2010 display technology. A non-Retina IPS update a couple of years ago would have given the Air even greater staying power. But as is, apple wants you to spend at $300+ to get an amazing screen.

To me the screen only seems bad in a 'grass is always greener' sort of way though. I can work with it. It's really just a functional aspect of the computer at this point. It's the bare minimum of screen and it gets the job done.

I wonder how long the Air will be in the lineup. Will it stay around sequestered to it's own dingy space on the Apple store? Will it stay around as long as the non-retina 13 Pro? That was kept around for people that wanted a DVD Drive... will the Air stick around for those that need USB-A?

10. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

For one thousand dollars in my opinion is not cheap by any means, maybe by apple standards but still. I just wish there was a new macbook that had hdmi, usb's, and memory reader thing i use in a weekly basis without adding any dongles.

11. gertruded macrumors regular

Just purchased a new air for $700. They are on sale everywhere. The air is a great laptop and the problem with the screen is greatly exaggerated IMHO. Just attach to a monitor when needed. The best laptop Apple has produced. Check out the problems with the new pro's keyboard and future problems with a worn out soldered-in battery pack.

For most people the screen is no problem. If the screen is unacceptable to a person then just don't buy it. You can get a better screen on a Windows machine for the same price, and if that is what is most important to you, go buy it.

12. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I would agree that you can buy a nice external monitor with the money you save on the MBA. Also, it's a laptop with a hinge, so you can move the orientation of the screen for different viewing positions. It's not like the MBA is stuck in one angle like the iPad Pro with ASK.

13. Puddled macrumors regular

Puddled

That's just making excuses for Apple.

14. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did you get it for 700? maybe an older model I doubt is the 2017 the best deals are from apple right now with the back to school deals

15. gertruded macrumors regular

Quite the contrary. It is the only lap top that I would purchase from Apple at this point. The Macbook is terrible in several ways including keyboard, ports and price. The Macbook pro is all soldered up and with a bad keyboard and priced out of sight.

The current air is a much better companion to an iMac than the other two.

16. xylitol, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

xylitol macrumors regular

Because of that TN panel my 11" MBA (2015) is now effectively my Mac Mini. 4K@60Hz, no Mini can do that, which is ridiculous.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

if you have a 2013 retina macbook why did you buy a macbook air?

18. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

Actually, I didn't say I bought a MBA for $700.

I have frequently seen the current model for sale at Best Buy for $800. They often offer $200 discounts on their Macs.

Personally, I purchased a 2014 model right after it was released in April that year for $750 ($100 off sale price less $150 student discount at Best Buy).

I understand that the display is dated and this could be a showstopper for some people. On the other hand, there are tons of people that just want a good reliable laptop that runs MacOS, and they are really not that picky about the display. I still think the MBA is one of the best computers for college students.

Anyway, I would love to see Apple make a few updates to the MBA hardware/display, maintain the classic form factor (including the iconic Apple logo), reduce the bezel somewhat, and keep it in their line up as the everyday consumer laptop. Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen. The closest thing will be the entry 13 in MacBook Pro nTB. Perhaps, in a couple of years, we will see the price of that laptop drop from $1299 to something closer to the magical $1,000 consumer price point.

19. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Apple has not changed the screen of the MacBook Air since its inception. Apple wants you to buy the retina MacBook instead.

20. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

That's effectively the replacement for the 11" air, the ntb MPB should replace the 13" but as yet it's still miles too pricy to be worth it to most casual MacBook purchasers so the 13" remains filling a new role as an entry level mac laptop. The 12" is obviously selling too well at its current price to come down in price so expect paying a premium for the portable design to become a permanent 'feature' of the line. I think eventually the ntb might drop a bit further, but can't say when they'll do it.

21. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Personally, I love my rather ancient 2011 MBA- it's sitting right next to me on my desk at work and I use it every day. It is as basic as a 2011 Air gets- 128GB drive, 4 GB RAM, and 1.7Ghz i5. It's tired, needs a good cleaning, and keeps on chugging. Performance is adequate (meaning "I wish I had a faster one but this one is just fine for me.") It would be nice if the screen were better but, honestly, I really don't care. I have been pleased as punch with it and feel no need to replace it, even though I would love a new one. At home I have my 2012 MBP with the i7 and 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. It's much heavier, but otherwise, I'm happy with it as well.

22. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

Direct me to a $500, less than 3lb Windows laptop, 10hr battery, that has a hi resolution touch screen, backlit keyboard and the build quality of the Air.

23. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

To me, the Macbook Air is greater than the sum of its parts.

Also, I got mine new in 2014 for $550, so that was good.

24. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502

Rocko99991

Was that for 11" or 13"?

25. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

11. I really like the size of the 11.