Macbook air screen replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Putter, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Putter macrumors newbie

So heres the catch... The screen on my macbook air for some reason went dead, just plain didn't work. Then I tried hooking it up to an external monitor which worked flawlessly as it did.

Now my question is what is wrong with the laptop? Is it a case of just a dead lcd which a replacement would fix. My current solution to this is to buy this lcd on amazon http://www.amazon.com/AU-OPTRONICS-B133EW03-Screen-Glossy/dp/B003UUEEAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279636665&sr=1-1 and then take apart the machine and install the lcd myself which would be way cheaper than getting it repaired at apple since the warranty is out. The reason I came up with this solution was because it works on my external monitor which means that the graphics processor (x3100) is working so as the rest of the machine...

Any ideas on how to fix this matter would be greatly appreciated and if the solution of just replacing the LCD is the correct way to go, how exactly do I take it apart and replace it? I've seen videos on youtube but none seem to help me get what a wanted. Thanks in advance guys!

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It is best to replace the entire lid. It is very near impossible to get the bezel off without bending and damaging it. Try taking it to the Apple store first and see what they do for you.

3. Putter thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll Check with the apple retailer today and see what I get. Thanks for your input

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Given Apple's flat-rate pricing, the repair should cost $280.00 + tax.

5. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Why would he want to pay 300+ for a repair when he can have it don't by apple with apple parts for 280?