Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Can someone do me a favor? I have three pentalobe screws on my brand new Air that just spin and spin like they're stripped. I was trying to tighten them up because I had the "creaking" unibody frame problem that a lot of other people have apparently had. When I found that three of my screws just turn and turn, I was pretty sure this wasn't normal. But the three screws that just spin are all right in a row, so I wasn't sure if that was by design or a coincidental defect.

I'm taking it to a genius appointment on Sunday. If these things shouldn't be spinning like this, can I tell him that I found the screws to be spinning without them accusing me of voiding my warranty?

Thanks for any input.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Can someone do me a favor? I have three pentalobe screws on my brand new Air that just spin and spin like they're stripped. I was trying to tighten them up because I had the "creaking" unibody frame problem that a lot of other people have apparently had. When I found that three of my screws just turn and turn, I was pretty sure this wasn't normal. But the three screws that just spin are all right in a row, so I wasn't sure if that was by design or a coincidental defect.

I'm taking it to a genius appointment on Sunday. If these things shouldn't be spinning like this, can I tell him that I found the screws to be spinning without them accusing me of voiding my warranty?

Thanks for any input.

That is definitely abnormal. I'd bring it back to the store.

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
Just tell them that the frame was creaking, when I boight my MBA two weeks ago they told me that apple started using different screws because they don't want people doing their own mods and such. I'm sure they will understand if you tell them that you were just trying to fix it, they're nice people. But chose your words wisely... How old is your MBA?

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Just tell them that the frame was creaking, when I boight my MBA two weeks ago they told me that apple started using different screws because they don't want people doing their own mods and such. I'm sure they will understand if you tell them that you were just trying to fix it, they're nice people. But chose your words wisely... How old is your MBA?

Brand new mid 2013 i7

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
The MBA 2013 I just returned had a creaking body. I bought a pentalobe screwdriver and tightened a bunch of screws but I had one that would just spin too, near the trackpad.

New one is fine - well no creaking :)

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Just figured I'd update. I ended up having to exchange my configured to order MacBook Air via mail through AppleCare. The new one is fine. All screws tight. No creaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.