Macbook Air - Selection help please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lamaman, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lamaman macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

I am looking at the jump to a Mac and dumping the whole Microsoft thing in the wake of the disaster that is Vista. However, Id like to seriously consider the Macbook Air since I want to use it for basic word processing and Internet - plus I travel quite a bit. However, I'm in the middle of an OU course with some Java programming using Netbeans and I wonder if it will be man enough for that kind of thing?.

If it is, should I go for the 1.6 or the 1.8? Doesnt seem like much of a difference to me but, since its a Mac, Ill take it under advisement!.

Thx in advance,

Mark

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Netbeans is pretty slow to startup, no matter what system you run.

Once it gets going you'll be fine.

If you have your heart set on an Air, then go for it, but you may want to consider an more all round computer in the MacBook.

This would save you a little money as well.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You should look into the regular MacBook. Even going for the top model would save you a significant amount of money. You get a much faster processor and a much bigger hard drive along with two speakers instead of one and you also get an optical drive.

I've compared the two side by side and MacBook Air really is not worth the extra money in my opinion. It's the same width and depth as the MacBook with the only difference being its thickness. You pay a huge price for this relatively small reduction in thickness and it isn't really that much lighter either.

Go to a store and check them out, I really don't think there is anyone in the world who can benefit from paying £1199 for a MacBook Air.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

I have and LOVE the Macbook Air (my wife's actually), but I wouldn't recommend it as a first or only Mac.

It works much easier being supported by a primary Mac.

Not that it won't work, it is a darn good machine.

I would really check out the Macbook or Macbook Pro and be absolutely sure the limitations of the Air will work for you.

Also, from a value perspective, the Air's are very expensive. The Macbook is a far, far greater value. But they are heavy and ugly :)

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Not really all that heavy. They also look a million times better than the Air, a computer which has a keyboard of different colour to the rest of the unit. That's the definition of ugly :rolleyes:

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think the Macbook Air looks great (even the black keys look great, it wouldn't look balanced to me if it had silver keys), and I think the white Macbook looks like a Nintendo DS on steroids. Ugly. (Or, a child's toy if you prefer)

Oh well. We will have to agree to disagree.

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm waiting to buy the updated macbook (if it ever arrives).

I've used a Macbook Pro for a while and love it but it's a bit big to be transporting, and I'm looking to replace my Windoze PC with a Mac Pro when they're updated, so my Mac notebook will no longer need to be my only Mac.

If you're not desperate, wait a month and see what the new Macbooks bring (hopefully an aluminium casing :))

8. Bertmg macrumors member

Never switch from PC into a Mac Air

Please do not get blinded by the pretty looks. :cool:

Mac Air is absolutely not recommended as your first Mac after switching from PC. You will be extremely disappointed, it will end up giving you a bad experience and it will make you regret the switch you made, and thus make us mac users look bad ;). Mac Air is an ok product , but it is in it's infancy stage and it will need some time to grow.

Make a wise decision and get a PowerBook or a MacBook Pro. It will be of less or equal price, but with much, much... did I said MUCH?, more functionality on the go!!!;)

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A PowerBook is not something to buy a good few years after its discontinuation and upgrade to much more powerful Intel processors. A MacBook Air is a perfectly capable computer, much more than is given credit. OP, you could certainly make due with a MacBook Air, but it's main intent was as an ultra-mobile Mac, not as someone's sole computer... though it can perform such a task. I recommend a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but I know how you feel, so you might as well go for the MacBook Air, it's a perfectly capable machine, just with a lack of ports... but most users don't use more than one USB port on a laptop at a time and really never use an optical drive too much. Essentially, go for it if you want it really badly, but a MacBook would prove to be a much more suitable solo computer.

10. lamaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchase Made!

Well, went for the 15" MacBook Pro in the end. Just couldnt convince myself about the Air - aside from its looks - and the pro is such a cool little laptop in the end there wasnt much of a decision to make. Cant wait - just waiting for the delivery man now.....

Thanks again for all the help and advice folks,

Mark:)