MacBook Air shows Question mark folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dreamerkan, Sep 18, 2014.

1. dreamerkan macrumors newbie

Dear all,

We have a Macbook Air shows Question mark folder.

When we go to the Disk Utilities, it only shows a Disk 0 with about 1.19 GB and we don't see the SSD.

Will that the SSD had problem?

Will there any problem related to this issue?

When we brought to an Apple Authorized vendor, they just told us that it is the harddisk error and not related to SSD. I was amazed as the macbook air is less than 1 cm thick, I don't know where the harddisk is hidden.

Please kindly help...

Ivan

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

There is no HDD (Hard Disk Drive). All the storage on a current MBA is on an SSD (Solid State Drive). Where exactly is this question mark folder? If you only have 1.19 GB of remaining space, your SSD is severely overloaded.

Lou

3. dreamerkan thread starter macrumors newbie

When the Macbook air is power on, it shows white screen.

After awhile, it shows a folder with question mark.

Then, go to Disk Utilities, it only show a "Disk 0" with 1.19 GB.
    Nothing else.

Ivan

Attached Files:

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

If it's a new machine bring it back for an exchange. Something is very wrong here. Starting off with a Question Mark means the Mac can't find a bootable disk. If that's all that Disk Utility is showing, it's not showing the SSD. Again, being it back to the Apple Store.

Lou

5. dreamerkan thread starter macrumors newbie

If the disk Utilities shows no SSD, should I replace the SSD?

Ivan

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

OK, not enough information here. Exactly which MBA do you have? Do you have access to an external bootable USB drive? If you do, and you certainly should, boot from that drive and see if you can repair the internal SSD with Disk First Aid or a third part solution like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior. I take it, your machine is out of warranty? Did it ever work correctly?

Lou

7. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

If you bought this on Amazon or something, you've been screwed over.
    It seems that there is a 2GB SSD in place of the 128-256GB SSD there should be. So, either a software glitch or a hardware problem. I feel like you've been scammed or something but ya.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your MacBook Air does not have a hard drive or a conventional SSD. Is uses a small "blade" module like in this photo for storage. It is like an SSD, just shaped differently. Bottom line is yours is dead and you need a new one.

You can buy a replacement from Transcend here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for your year Air to get the right model number then you can order from Amazon.

[​IMG]

Tell us what year your Air is then we can tell you how to get the OS reinstalled once you have the new drive installed.

I am assuming here this is not a newer machine under warranty.

9. motrek macrumors 68020

I'd say go back to the Apple store and ask them about this SSD recall:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Something has clearly gone wrong with your Mac. But the SSD is working at least to some degree if you can boot into the recovery software. Odd.

10. dreamerkan thread starter macrumors newbie

Through checking the serial no, the model shoukd be MacBookAir 6,2

What is MBA? where can I find it?

11. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^MBA is the acronym for Macbook Air. The 6,2 model is the current 13" model. There is, at this time, no third party solution for a replacement SSD for the current MBA. Again, WHY DON'T YOU BRING IT BACK TO THE APPLE STORE??????

What aren't you telling us?

Lou

12. dreamerkan thread starter macrumors newbie

The 1 year warranty is just over.... That's all....

The repairing charge is about USD600-700.

That's why I am seeking if replace SSD can help solve my problem.

Ivan

13. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

How old is this laptop now then? If it's past its warranty, then you'll have to get it repaired (do it yourself or have a repair shop do it).

But if it's only just peaked its warranty and your SSD suddenly fried, I would still go to Apple and complain that your hardware pooped out just after your warranty ended. They may make exceptions

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, your SSD is bad and a new one would likely fix the problem. As mentioned, at this point there are no third party replacements available for your 2013 model.

You can either pay Apple to replace it, or you can look on eBay for one that was pulled from a 2013 machine so the owner could upgrade to a larger drive. For example, somebody may have paid Apple to upgrade to a 512GB SSD and is selling their 256GB SSD on eBay. There have been some on eBay if you look.

15. motrek macrumors 68020

If the computer is covered under the SSD recall then you won't have to pay a thing. Make sure you ask them about the recall.

Paying $600-$700 to replace an SSD is absolutely ridiculous. For that price you might as well find a broken laptop online and use it for parts. Are you sure that's what Apple charges to replace an SSD? Or did they want to replace the entire motherboard?

16. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

An SSD should not fail just after the warranty expires. Contact an Apple Retail store, not an Apple service provider, or Apple Corporate and ask for satisfaction. They should replace it at no cost.

Lou