Macbook air slowing down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by docgerrard, Aug 15, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

So it feels as though my MBA is slowing down.

This is only after a weeks use, but scrolling is sometimes laggy, sometimes there is a delay when i click a different tab on safari, excel doesn't open as fast as it should (maybe even a bit slower than my $300 machines desktop), etc.

what do you guys recommend? any tests I can do to verify?

oh and i have the hardest time using the app store. i don't know if this is a lion bug, since i do remember hearing others talk about this, but i see the colorful wheel thing every time i use it

2. Chipg macrumors regular

not here, even after I installed the entire cs 5.5 suite and used up 50 gigs my geek bench score went up after a week, it's now over 6900. I think it was 6600 or so the day I got it.

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Go to activity monitor and check your RAM as well as your page in/outs. If you havE alots of free ram then maybe your hd is full which can slow a system down

4. lukekarts macrumors regular

I can't answer the general speed thing, but...

App Store is broken on Lion. I don't know what they've done but mine lags and lags and lags and lags and lags. Loads of posts on the Lion forum about it.

5. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm right now i have 1.87gb free ram with 4.58gb pages in 7.4gb pages out.

i don't really know what that stuff means haha

wow i just downloaded geek bench, and got a score of 5295. thats a lot lower than 6900...

this is the base 13'' mid 2011 model..

6. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342

Holy that's some insane amount of pages out - transferring your datas in the RAM to the SSD because the RAM is FULL!

I bet your have high readings on your swap used? SSD are super fast but it'll still slow down a lot if you have too much pages out and use your SSD as RAM.

Try restarting your machine?

7. aryan118 macrumors regular

the recent update for lion osx from apple might help...is available starting today

8. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

well its going fast again.. but some of the problems i was having before still aren't fixed

9. Chipg, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Chipg macrumors regular

Mine is the i7, your scores are about where they should be.

EDIT: mine was also 64 bit

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think you might be running into either the infamous Safari memory leak, or you are running way too many applications at once.

Even with only 2GB of RAM on my 2010 model, I hit less page outs than you do. Perhaps ease up on the number of applications you keep running at all time?

11. EvanBlive91 macrumors member

So I have a 2012 Base Macbook Air with a ivy bridge i5 but with the 256GB SSD. It has getting a lot slower lately and idk why. My RAM is ALWAYS low even with few apps open (i do keep a lot of tabs open in Safari/Chrome). I have flash blocker and take good care of my computer ll around

You said 7GB of pages out is high…then i guess this will blow your mind… WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Attached Files: