MacBook Air Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qwerf123, Jul 27, 2011.

1. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Before purchasing my new MacBook Air, I read many users were't happy with it's inbuilt speakers.

After using it now for a few days, I honestly can't see the fuss and why people think they are so rubbish.

Am I the only one to think they are pretty decent and what do people not specifically like about them?

2. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

They get the job done. But unfortunately they seem to be a step down from my 15" 2008 MBP.

3. retrorichie macrumors member

For the form factor of the machine I would say they are pretty amazing. Definitely not comparable to my late 2008 15" MBP either, but wayyyy better than I would have imagined.

4. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I never imagined them to be this good for something so small.

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I'm such a fanboy that I use apple in ear buds though. Love that the mic can now be used for the air.

6. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I also think that the speakers are amazing for something so thin. If you have ever heard speakers on other ultraportables, you know that the air's speakers are very good.

Reviewers who say that the speakers are poor don't know what they're talking about or are expecting a subwoofer or something. The facts are that if you compare to other ultraportables, the macbook air sits at the top of the class.

It's not just peak volume, it's the quality of it. It's not tinny and sounds more natural. If you find that there's not enough volume, you should get VLC. And using its internal volume, you can boost it up to 400% and that has always gotten VERY loud for me. Sometimes your multimedia source is just recorded quite softly. And the air has been able to handle 400% volume without distorting.

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

Airplay

Here is my setup: a pair of AudioEngine A2 connected to an Airport Express. As long as I am in the same room, I got excellent sound with great stereo separation that no laptop speakers will have.

This set up is around $300 but enable any modern Apple or Airplay capable device such as iPad, iPhone to use it. And if you happen to have another device that is not Airplay capable, you can connect to the A2 speakers directly using their second input source. Another word, you pay $200 for a really really good pair of speakers to use with a normal device (your desktop, TV, stereo, whatever), and adding an Apple Airport Express to the speakers to make them Airplay capable.