Macbook Air Specs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrerSam, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BrerSam macrumors member

Ive decided to sell my 2010 Macbook Pro and go for a 2012 Air, i am going to be moving to the USA from the UK for 1 year as a kind of travel year working at Disney in Florida, the air will be my only computer during the time though i may pick up a refurb iPad as well.

I think i want the 13 inch as i will be using the screen for browsing, watching tv shows and films either streams or downloads, sky ping back home and maybe playing a lil diablo 3 if i get time and i play a lot of music from my computer.

Then after the year when i moved back home i will either get a iMac or a Thunderbolt Display, i have used the 15 inch 2010 MBP as my main computer for 2 years now and my question is:

Should i opt for 4GB or 8GB in the air? I don't have a lot of money but could stretch if worth it, what are the benefits of 4 GB more ram? Will i see these?

Also i will be doing some travelling to Canada and around the USA in the year, not a whole lot but is the 13 inch the right choice?

I should also add i am a Uni student and will return to studying after the year in the UK, and will have some assignments to do throughout my year in the USA

2. Jb07 macrumors 6502

If you can afford to get the model with 8Gb of Ram then go for it. You may not need it now, but in the future as programs begin to put more stress on the machine, you will be glad you upgraded. And since the Air's RAM is soldered on, you will not be able to upgrade it in the future, so it's best to buy extra ram now.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

4. BrerSam thread starter macrumors member

I like the idea of the 11 inch but this will be my only comp for the next year and have this nagging feeling that the screen won't be big enough without a monitor

5. gregorysreid macrumors newbie

RAM depends on what you are doing.

Hi,

I had a MBAir (Fall 2010) for about two years with 4 GB of RAM. For normal mac applications (e.g. Office for Mac 2011, Mail, etc.), 4 GB was plenty even with the slower Centrino processors. Where the MBAir did bog down was when running VMWare/Parallels for a virtual Windows 7 environment. Virtual environments take up a lot of RAM. Since stepping up to the new MBAir (Summer 2012) with 8 GB, no issues.

If you're just doing 'normal' mac work, then 4GB should be just fine, especially with the new processors. If you're running advanced software (like a developer or graphics design person might) or plan on using a virtual environment that supports Windows, then I'd recommend going to 8 GB.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

It all depends what applications you are going to use. I have the 2011 13inch MBA with 4gig ram. I use it for mainly browsing on safari. Streaming movies,, BBC Iplayer, downloading movies from iTunes. using Pages, Office for Mac, Mail, iPhoto etc. My MBA is running fine, no problems at all. Nice n smooth it runs.

7. BrerSam thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty much exactly what I will use it for as well as office for my uni papers and watchers some movies, I think 13 is the way to go, I'm guessing I will have to order online If I want the 8gb. I was hoping just to pick one up at the Apple store

8. abz1981 macrumors 65816

BrerSam If you can afford to get the MBA with 8GIG ram, then go for it. However if you feel you cannot, and your usage is going to be similar to mines, like using the word/page's applications, streaming or downloading movies, listening to music, downloading music, surfing on safari. Then your fine with 4GIG.

However only upgrade to 8GIG version if you feel thats something that you can do and is not going to impact you cost wise.

When I got my first MBA the one I am using right now, I told the Apple store sales person what my usage is, this is what he recommended. He could have recommended going for an even the higher spec 2011 13inch model than what I have. However he knew I wouldn't need that. So recommended this one. I am happy with it :)

Good luck in whatever you decide.

9. BrerSam thread starter macrumors member

Went I to the Apple store today and had a look and I was drawn to the 11 over the 13 and was surprised its not as small as I epexted

10. kbri macrumors newbie

i luv my new 2012 mba 13". it does everything that i need. i run pretty much everything on it, from iWork to Aperture. I even have Final Cut and Motion installed on it.

The benefits of the mba are simple: fast and light.
    The negatives: storage, price, and can't upgrade features later.

the mba is a great computer for the mobile professional and writers dream. but as a replacement? well that would be your call.

I installed the 8 GB of Ram because I was thinking about the future. These computers are very expensive. This will be my main for the next 3 years. So, I wanted to make sure that whatever hobby/skill I wanted to develop, I would not be limited by the amount of memory I put in her.

As long as you You will be fine. I am not a gamer, so I am not too sure how Diablo will run. But, if u were a serious gamer, I am sure you would already know this.

Good luck and HAVE A MAGICAL DAY (former GSM Cast Member Boardwalk Resort WDW)