macbook air spek case etc or no case

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by abz1981, Jun 2, 2012.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi all

Does anyone here ever tend to get hard shell cases for the MBA they own. Like speck cases. Or do people tend to just go naked without any hard cases?

just looking for opinions.

thanks

2. gbredneck macrumors member

Speck cases all the way here, they keep the casings free of scratches, but they are so darned expensive. The cheaper copies just don't seem as well made.

3. Timshan0876 macrumors member

Timshan0876

Speck Trimsleeve baby!
    It is honestly the coolest and most slick case I have ever owned for anything!

Looks good, fits good and has a cool tab you pull on to release the MBA out of the case.

https://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-air-case-13-trimsleeve.html

I bought mine used on Amazon for $33.18
    Somehow, I still ended up getting a brand new one:eek:

4. jacob-07 macrumors regular

I have a speck case and the bottom has a ton of scratches on it, I don't want to imagine what my MBA would look like without it.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

^
    This. And it helps preserve the resale value of your equipment. It more than pays for itself.

6. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Over its lifetime, my MacBook ended up with a few mystery dents, so I figure that it is better safe than sorry with my MBA. Besides, I love the color (teal) and it is a lot cheaper than sending it in somewhere for a color mod.

7. justinnum1 macrumors member

I have the incase shell with small holes, only keep it on the bottom half, i love it

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Just sold my Air a few days ago, buyer was amazed at how pristine it was. Not a single scratch or dent. Wouldn't have been possible without a hard shell.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I liked the look and feel of my Speck Case a lot but was disappointed when it cracked the first week.

Many have no problems with cracking others do, there's threads about it here. Mine never left the house and I take care of my stuff yet it developed fine faint cracks on the bottom, could be caused by pressure points, weak spots don't know, maybe their QC is hit and miss.

Ended up going with a Invisishield instead, works well.

10. katewes macrumors 6502

I encased my MacBook Pro in one of these plastic cases - and my MacBook Air had a Speck case. In both cases, I assumed the plastic cases would retain the Macs in pristine condition.

Not so. Rather, the grit that gets under the cover, over time, caused abrasion.

On the other hand, if I did not have these plastics, who knows if more serious dents and scratches might not have occurred.

I believe the best approach would be to use these plastic cases, but regularly take them off to rinse in water to remove grit under the surfaces.

11. ncarnall macrumors member

This is the same as i have. My problem has been the retaining plastic clips breaking off. I'm now on my forth case which incase have replaced without issue. However at the moment i'm going bareback and enjoying to look and feel as it was supposed to be and so far not a mark! Fingers crossed it stays that way.

12. tomclocke macrumors newbie

tomclocke

Thing is with a MacBook Air, you pay money for a thin laptop...why would you add plastic to it? Yes it will protect it, but if you kept an eye on it and was always careful with it then surely it'll be ok? I have had my MBA for 2 years now and not a single scratch on it..!

13. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your replies all. I do have a speck case and last night decided to take it off n was thinking it looks so better without it. But then this is with no scratches etc. but then again am thinking I will put it back on again. I only use it at home anyway but I guess it's better safe and sorry.

14. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I swear by my Speck case because it saved my computer from a 4 stair fall down the hard woord stairs onto tiled floors when I slipped at night.