MacBook Air SSD or Cheaper MacBook SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Barbie, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

The MacBook is $250 less, with the same speedy drive as a MacBook Air. However, the weight and glass screen are questioning my notion to buy a MacBook.

Is the amount less for the MacBook worth it?

Barbie

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Be more specific about what you are going to be using this machine for. Unless you're a hardcore traveler, the Macbook is hands down the better machine.

3. Barbie thread starter macrumors regular

Barbie

I'd use the computer outside in the garden a lot, and at college.

The aesthetics of the Air are gorgeous but the MacBook is creeping up to the Air's beauty, bar the glass screen.

Barbie

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I am a hardcore traveler (travel on a week on/week off schedule), while I have not used a Macbook Air, when I am on the road I do wish I had it vs a Macbook.

The macbook is smaller than most laptops, but it weighs the same as other laptops. After you add all the other stuff in your travel bag (work equipment, a personal book, magazines, ipod, etc.) and the standard travelpro roll-on luggage the weight really starts to add up.

The downside is that I don't believe that an Air could be your only computer, while i am able to use my macbook (with upgraded hard drive) without issues, just unplug and go. The Macbook allows 4 gigs of ram and uses a standard 2.5 hard drive, vs the Air's fixed hard drive and ram.

The Air's price is also a big issue, you get a "real computer" vs a netbook, but you do pay for it (unlike a netbook.)

At some point i wish apple would release a netbook (I know the rumors exist that they are working on one, but who knows if it will ever become a reality.) I have decided to try the Dell Mini 9 and do the unofficial Leopard
    install, but that is a really ugly solution vs a real mac netbook.

(I would never consider a hackintosh as your only Macintosh, but just as something to toy with, one update from apple and they could break you computer.)

Good luck with your buying decision.

5. txnoob macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree that the Air does not seem to be a logical single computer solution. If it will be the primary machine I would go with the Macbook.

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

I would go with the MB, it is better value for what you will be using it for. :)

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook Air also has a glossy screen.

8. Barbie thread starter macrumors regular

Barbie

My reply mentioned a glass screen, which is used on MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac and the LED Cinema display.

The MacBook Air doesn't include a glass screen, which is good as the glass screen can cause issues outside I've learned.

Are Amazon Marketplace (individual seller) purchases still covered under warranty, as proof of purchase is sometimes needed?
    Barbie.