Macbook Air SSD upgrade, worth it? Yosemite compatible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iKnowMr.Jobs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

So, 128gb is not cutting it in my Air. it just isn't, especially with the Windows 8 VM. I've been looking at the Transcend JetDrive for quite sometime as a upgrade but I've put it off for so long that I'm actually just thinking about waiting for the Broadwell machines to drop before I buy a new Machine. but I got a notification that the 240gb JetDrive is $170. I still want to get a new Machine in the summer regardless and plan to give my current Air (that one I'd be upgrading) to my mother. My big question is that will the JetDrive work under OS X Yosemite? I've read some very vague things that Apple changed up the TRIM support in 10.10 that makes it difficult to use third party ssds.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I have a Transcend 480GB unit happily running Yosemite on my 2012 MBA. Yes, Apple did make it difficult to enable TRIM with Yosemite with third party SSDs, but the utility TRIM Enabler works with some care taken. Read about it here:

http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

I have been using TRIM Enabler since the first Yosemite Betas, and have taken the necessary precautions and have experienced no ill effects.

Lou