MacBook Air SSD !!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jonathanlaniado, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

I need to get a replacement MacBook Air SSD that contains more than 128 GBs. Those of you who have the same Mac as me, would totally understand why. It is just too little space for so many files, as I use this as my main computer. Does anyone know where I can get a good, but CHEAP, SSD replacement? Thanks in advance and all responses are greatly appreciated.

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Check eBay - you can easily find stock 256GB SSDs pulled from MacBook Airs there. If you're lucky, you'll pay about $1 per GB, which is as cheap as I think you'll find. I upgraded the 64GB SSD in my 11-inch MacBook Air to a 128GB one by buying a pulled SSD from another forum member a little while ago (it's not my primary computer but the extra space was still useful).

3. SiriusFlash macrumors newbie

4. winterlocked macrumors member

I had a good experience with buying an OEM samsung SSD off of ebay for my air. Worked out to be the same price as getting a refurbished machine with a 256, and that was before I sold the 128.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

So when you need service and dont have the 128...what then?

Worse, if they have to replace your computer...will pull out your non-standard drive?

Does this void the warranty?

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

See inline.

7. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

This does not necessarily void the warranty. Depends on whats wrong with the computer....if the problem with the computer is directly related to the hard drive...a problem with the drive or a short in the MoBo then yes the warranty is void, if the problem is something like the wifi or bluetooth or the such, then your warranty would still be good.

8. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Did you read my answer to his first question? Apple has said there are no user serviceable components in an MBA, i.e., there is no reason for an end user to open it up. Therefore, opening the case voids the warranty. If Apple wants to play hardball, once the case is opened, nothing is covered.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Just adding reference regarding Apple's stand:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_air_13inch_mid2011_ug.pdf

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

WOW!

Blade pricing has come down quite a bit ... almost to macho what the SSD pricing for 2.5" drives used to be last year.

example 480GB SSD Blade for MBAir used to cost $1100CAN (just 4mths ago from OWC). Now its $794.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

STill I'm not going back to MBA due to soldered RAM, if this changes after today's announcement i could be selling this mint MBP.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I don't see them changing from RAM being soldered on, unfortunately.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Due to the height of the laptop, this won't be happening without a new engineering design for RAM modules.