MacBook Air SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SuperTramp27, Oct 27, 2015.

1. SuperTramp27 macrumors newbie

SuperTramp27

hello all,

I've been trying to locate a post that would give me advice on this topic. Yet have not found anything. Maybe I've not searched hard enough ? But..

I have a old MacBook Air A1237-13" 2gb ram.
    Origanly had a 80gb SSD that filed due to S.M.A.R.T. I replaced it with a 128gb that's now also failing. They seem to last a few months but that's it? Not sure what the issue is there.

I was just wondering if anyone had attempted to use the SD to CF adaptor on the DDk zIF with flex connector? Not sure how to insirt a picture on here else I'd show you.
    But the same thing you could do with a iPod classic 5/6/7gen.
    Posted a link to tarkens website, where you'll see what I mean buy the adaptor.
    It's just getting expensive replacing the SSD all the time, and if it was a SD card you can get them for a lot less. Thanks for any advice or knolage you have on the matter. http://www.tarkan.info/store/iFlash-Bundle

2. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

I would sell the thing and added the cost of that SSD to buy a newer MBA with SSD preinstalled if I were you. If you are outside US and don't have the access to their huge student discounts and such, for $415 or so it's possible to find on ebay good condition late-2010 machine. Otherwise it looks like upgrading 2008 MBA is just not worth the hassle anymore.

3. SuperTramp27 thread starter macrumors newbie

SuperTramp27

I have a newer mbp 2014 model, but I like the 13" screen and how light the mba is.
    I don't want to sell it to anyone as I would feel like I'm ripping them off knowing the problem with the SSD and short life they have with this issue. Can you run a MBA with no core memory. IE just remove and run from a external hard drive?

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^It's not "core memory" it's storage. the answer to your question is yes, you can run an MBA or any Mac for that matter with no internal storage. An external drive (HDD, SSHD, or SSD) will boot up and work just fine.

Lou

5. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Theoretically you could boot it from usb flash drive as well.

6. SuperTramp27 thread starter macrumors newbie

SuperTramp27

This is what I'm trying right now, I made a bootable usb flash drive with OS X el. Yet when I hold C on start up, it's showing as a drive click on the el's to install and comes up with round symbol and line diagonally? Getting that give up feeling haha.

7. SuperTramp27 thread starter macrumors newbie

SuperTramp27

Figured it out!! They can't run the latust OS X now I'm facing a new problem. My old account is dead since the last SSD fail. And I don't have a lion linked to this account. What's the way forward from here?

8. Buggyflayer macrumors regular

as far as using an SD card, you might want to read this
    http://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emmc-vs.-ssd-not-all-solid-state-storage-is-equal/
    I've used a Transcend Jetdrive to beta-test El Capitan on a 2012 Air & while its not snappy like the SSD, its perfectly useable.
    A couple of years ago on a 2009 white MacBook I found a massive difference trying to use USB sticks for trialling different versions of OSX & ended up with better results using USB HDD's. Newer USB3.0 standard sticks cope better today tho (even in a USB2.0 slot)