Macbook Air stalls in start-up: Socket is not connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jeppering, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Jeppering macrumors newbie

Hi all

Into a bit of trouble here. Suddenly my Macbook Air would not start - when starting normally it stalls on the grey screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel. A "safe start" with command lines does the same with launch message "Socket is not connected" (twice)

Googleing the problem does not help me that much - I have not done anything about the setup neither system files nor passwords (single user).
    Since I can not access anything on the mac, I cant run any disc/dianostics tools.
    Absolutely nOOb with Mac, system-wise (thus cant remember production year, OS version etc etc)
    This is the picture of the start-up from the safe start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj4hxta42to1ty0/DSC_0199.JPG?dl=0

Any suggestions what to do - or what my problem might be??

Thanks a lot in advance!!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding command-option-r (all three at once) when you boot. You will need to enter your wifi password then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once the utility comes up start Disk Utility and see if you can see the internal drive there in the left column. If you can, run a verify disk on it and see what errors it reports.

If you can't see the drive in Disk Util from recovery, you likely have a failed drive.

3. Jeppering thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!

I guess first lesson learned would be: get to know your basic Mac commands.
    Second lesson would be: I still have no idea how Apple got the rumour if being user-friendly (said that as professional User Experience Designer). I actually have no idea of what happend - but i´m writing from my computer.

Ran the recovery command - as stated above.
    While the tool or whatever was downloading/working - got an error message Apple.com/support 2003f - and the machine seemed to stop.
    Restarted (actually typed the wrong command, cause I would try again) and a disc utility tool loaded with four possible actions among re-installing os-x
    Chose to diagnose disc - and got an error, should be repaired
    Repair failed and it said I should back up as much data as possible and format drive ect
    Just because I could NOT figure out what and how to do that, I tried to diagnose again - again failed.
    Repaired - and then it succeeded!!!!

And I have no idea what went right the second time - but restarted and here I am.

Thanks for the great help - guess I should have stumbled upon that command in my search, but didn´t.;)

4. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Now would be a good time to make a backup (via time machine if possible).

Also, if you just bought this mac, I would suggest taking it into the store AFTER you backup just in case. It could be that something is wrong with it. Maybe your SSD is failing (does that even happen)?

Anyways, backup please. Just play it safe.