Macbook Air still worth it? (new MB & iPad Pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr West, Sep 10, 2015.

  1. Mr West macrumors member

    Mr West

    Apr 9, 2012
    As I mentioned earlier in another post, I'm looking for new machine.
    I got SP3 from work so it's purpose is solely personal use, being:
    - e-mail
    - browsing
    - working on my start-up
    - personal administration
    - music and photo's

    The most important two features for me:
    - ultraportable
    - durable
    - straightforward
    - good keyboard

    This brings me to the MBA11.

    However, I'm wondering whether or not it still worth it to buy the MBA11.
    I did some research and I think there are roughly two options:

    OPTION 1: Apple will ditch the MBA
    With both the iPad pro and the 2015 MB, the MBA might lose it's place in the Apple store.
    For me this means: buy now. Since I find the 2015 MB too expensive.

    OPTION 2: Apple will come out with new MBA's in 2016.
    In this case it won't be smart to buy now since the MBA is already half it's lifecycle.

    What do yo guys think? Still worth to buy the MBA11, or will I regret this in 2016
    when a better MBA comes out for the same price?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

    Apr 9, 2015
    If Apple refreshes the MBA 11 next year I imagine it'll be a very minor upgrade like the past couple years. The MBA 11 gets even less attention than the 13. That said, it's a fine computer and if price is a factor it's a great deal. Might want to look at '13 and '14 models on the Apple refurb store site if you want an even better deal. They're almost the exact same machine as the '15 MBA11.
  3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030


    Nov 8, 2014
    Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
    The MBA "11 is a great machine with a good price-value ratio. Nevertheless, I would wait for January 2016. If you can.
  4. Aika macrumors regular


    Apr 7, 2006
    This instantly rules out the iPad Pro and MB.

    I would get the MBA 11" now. Even if a new one comes out next year it's likely 6+ months away.
  5. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I have an rMBP and my wife has an MBA.. I'd love an updated MBA - it still has ports on the sides and the screen is fine for me.
  6. monokakata macrumors 68000


    May 8, 2008
    Hilo, Hawai'i
    I hope you can try out the MBA 11" before you buy. Obviously a great many people like it. We had one in the house and I hated the screen (and that was when my laptop was a 2011 15" MBP). I hated it more when I got a 15" rMBP but that's not a fair comparison at all. I thought the screen was wretched. My partner thought it was fine.

    You'll make your own decision but you can save time and shipping headaches if you can get to an Apple store or reseller and spend a few minutes with one.

    My partner has the 12" rMB and she likes it. I think the screen's good. The keyboard is fine. The only downside is that we're finding battery life to be unimpressive, and the one port for everything approach is too often annoying.
  7. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 2, 2006
    West Oz
    I would be surprised if the new rMb comes out at the same price as the existing models even assuming it gets better spec skylake; improved battery; updated port/s. There is just too much competition from the other manufacturers. May as well wait if you have something to work with to tide you over for a while. :)
  8. pjfan macrumors regular

    May 24, 2009
    Columbus OH
    If you like it, buy it. It seems as though you need it to be productive with starting your own business, and you desire the 11", go for it.

    The price for the 11" is terrific. Refurb or one of the sites referenced on MacRumor's buyers list will not be beat. If something newer is released, what does it matter if the current one serves your purpose? Be happy with it.

    Personally, the Air's screens just aren't what I want... and if I were to go ultra mobile, I would go all the way with rMB (love the keyboard). That's just me -- you have done your research and the MBA is the computer for you. I don't think these prices will be beat, and the updates will likely be marginal if they ever happen at all (SSD speed might increase quite a bit). Go now if you're going to do it.
  9. Mr West thread starter macrumors member

    Mr West

    Apr 9, 2012
    Ok thanks! There is the just one last thing I'm worried about, but since it is a bit off-topic, I will open a new topic.
  10. RightMACatU macrumors 65816


    Jul 12, 2012
    I have the same requirements as you. I've just replaced my MBA13 with a rMB and don't regret it. I love the keyboard, retina display and ultra portability.

Share This Page