Macbook Air, Superdrive and 30" acd

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mediamab, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

Hiya guys,

I was just wandering if anyone had a way to solve having both the 30acd plugged in as well as the superdrive.

Is there no way around this? is the USB simply for power? IE can i just plug it into a powered USB hub (thats not actually plugged into the air?)

any help or advice appreciated

cheers

2. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Easy, dock your MBA as normal and just plug the SD into one of the USB ports on the back of the ACD.

3. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

this is reported to not work? unless you have this setup and can confirm it does?

4. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Nope, don't have an MBA at this time - and didn't have access to a 30-ADC back then as I do now.

However I do recall asking the same question a few months back with the head genius at my local Apple Store and unless my memory is getting poor, he said yes about connecting the MBA and large ACD up, and the SD thrown into the mix as well.

Don't see why the SD would be a problem, given the major differences being the display connectors on new gen 24 vs. old gen 30 displays - for the SD to work it's just a sufficiently-powered USB port required.

Best bet - if you're also not able to confirm yourself - is just to ask for a demo instore.

5. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

Have just been in store and confirmed it won't work! Advised I can buy equivalent to SuperDrive from one of the big names and that will work via the screen! Has any1 tested this or know what the drive is?

6. mediamab thread starter macrumors member