Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
The MacBook Air USB SuperDrive never worked with any other Macs without heavy hacking. What so different about the new Mini with Server OS X?

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
It features two 500 GB hard drives, the slot for the super drive is therefore filled.

I think you misunderstood the question. He wants to know how come all of a sudden Apple is letting you use this drive with a non-MBA device.

My guess is a change in USB kexts or firmware files? I'm not good with the technically, so sorry if what I just said has absolutely nothing to do with what would restrict/permit use of the drive.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think the MBA could put a little more juice through the USB ports. Honestly, I don't get the point of the server model. Get a $599 model and buy an external drive that sits underneath it and connects with FW800. They could've spent those R&D dollars on making a cheaper Mac Mini that could be used instead of an Apple TV since that thing is obviously Apple's ginger kid.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
The problem I've noticed with not having an optical drive in my Macbook Pro is DVD Player app does not work. I wondering if Server OS X has a DVD Player app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.