Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
I'd say at least till Lion ships. They'll either have it installed already or the USB stick that ships with them will have it on.

So we know that Lion will be coming soon at least. WWDC I'd guess.

I thought Lion wasn't due until Sept/Oct 2011?

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seoras said:
Saw this post on slashdot yesterday and immediately thought "MB Air refresh".
"NVIDIA Announces New GeForce GTX 560M and GT 520MX Mobile GPUs"
http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-Announced-New-GeForce-GTX-560M-and-GT-520MX-Mobile-GPUs/

No comments on this?

Apple has stuck with the ancient Intel Core2Duo processor in it's Air range partly due to the legal fight between Nvidia and Intel which has now been resolved.
Apple's logic appears to have been that the GPU was of greater importance than the CPU. I tend to agree given how much is off loaded onto GPU's now (Video CODEC especially).

There was a recent post on Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5/i7 here on Macrumors.
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/2...ghz-processors-suitable-for-next-macbook-air/
I can't see Apple releasing another Core2Duo MB Air.
I'm wondering if the new MB Air will offer both Intel and Nvidia's latest offerings?

Yes to the new intel chips. No to the Nvidia GPU in my opinion.

Put that combo in a MacBook Air and the 13inch MBP is instantly a dead duck.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
My wishlist for the high end 13"...

1) Intel Sandy Bridge processor
2) Thunderbolt port
3) Backlit keys
4) IR receiver
5) Maybe a RAM upgrade?

That is all...

P.s. USB 3 possible this gen? Or is that an Intel thing?

kpm1301

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone familiar with this care to hazard a guess at a release? If supplies are 'constrained' today does that mean we'll be seeing new MBAs today (it is a Tuesday) or is it likely still several weeks away?

when they announced the same thing about the imac being constrained, it took i believe less than 2 weeks for the new one to arrive in store
from comparing similar previous articles on 9to5mac.

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

johneaston said:
Optimus Frag said:
I'd say at least till Lion ships. They'll either have it installed already or the USB stick that ships with them will have it on.

So we know that Lion will be coming soon at least. WWDC I'd guess.

I thought Lion wasn't due until Sept/Oct 2011?

They say that it's due then. But with the rumours that it's just about done and with it's likely distribution on the Mac App store rather than on disc, all they have to link it in the app store so when Steve says it's available today, he means right now. That'll be the surprise for this years WWDC. Just my thoughts.

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2010

Hmm... Interesting.... Unfortunately, the 11" is too small for me, and on the current price scale, the 13" is too expensive. I would like to see the price hierarchy change to Low end 11" < Low end 13" < High end 11" < High end 13".

Otherwise, I'm getting a MB.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I'm wondering if the new MB Air will offer both Intel and Nvidia's latest offerings?

I don't see it, for the same reason that Apple have not been able to offer a discrete GPU on the 13" MBP. There's just not enough space on the logic board for a northbridge type chip and a discrete GPU. They need something that does both. The nVidia chipsets only support up to the C2D processors, which is why they were in the MBA and the 2010 13" MBP. With the HD 3000 built into the Sandybridge CPU's offering comparable (if not quite identical) performance to the nVidia chips, that's where my money is going - low end Sandybridge CPU with no discrete graphics. Not sure we'll see them offering Thunderbolt either, as that's also a separate chip, although they found room in the 2011 13" MBP for one.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Saw this post on slashdot yesterday and immediately thought "MB Air refresh".
"NVIDIA Announces New GeForce GTX 560M and GT 520MX Mobile GPUs"
http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-Announced-New-GeForce-GTX-560M-and-GT-520MX-Mobile-GPUs/

No comments on this?

Apple has stuck with the ancient Intel Core2Duo processor in it's Air range partly due to the legal fight between Nvidia and Intel which has now been resolved.
Apple's logic appears to have been that the GPU was of greater importance than the CPU. I tend to agree given how much is off loaded onto GPU's now (Video CODEC especially).

There was a recent post on Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5/i7 here on Macrumors.
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/2...ghz-processors-suitable-for-next-macbook-air/
I can't see Apple releasing another Core2Duo MB Air.

Impossible. Those are dedicated mobile GPUs. The Air has always had an IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor). nVidia cannot make IGPs for the new Core iX line of processors anymore, so you will not see an nVidia GPU in the next Air.

The nVidia announcement doesn't change anything at all. That's why there was no comment on it nor did anyone bring it up.

With the HD 3000 built into the Sandybridge CPU's offering lower (if not quite abysmal) performance compared to the nVidia chips

Fixed that there for you. The HD 3000 never performed on par with the 320m. The benchmarks AnandTech did that showed any similar performance were for CPU bound tasks which were a result of the Sandy Bridge CPU being much faster than the Core 2 Duo CPU paired with the 320m.

All benchmarks for pure graphics (3D marks and others) show the true story. The HD 3000 is about half the performance of the 320m and twice the performance of the 9400m. It's a downgrade for us current Air owners that value the GPU more than the CPU.

Ivy Bridge won't fix this either. They'll still be slower than comparable offerings from AMD and nVidia, except by then, we won't have had a modern IGP paired with an Intel CPU in quite a while, so comparisons will be impossible. We'll be back in the dark ages where all laptops sucked for gaming again (the early days pre-nVidia doing mobile IGPs).

Back lit keyboard pretty please! That was the biggest and dumbest mistake Apple ever made recently, to leave it out. Going backwards.

Yeah, what a mistake, the MBA was their best seller for the quarter after October 2010. Imagine if it did have the backlit keyboard! They might have sold 2 more!

Seriously, Apple made the right choice. It's obvious they dropped the backlit keyboard because of a design reason, not out of spite for users who like it. That design choice paid off and the MBA went from niche to mainstream with the last refresh.

Last edited:

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
If I read one more message about people demanding a backlit keyboard on the new Macbook Air, I'm gonna kill myself!

It's really not that important to anyone who knows how to type!

Learn to type people!!!! The amount of time you will save will be far greater than any gains a backlit keyboard will get you.

:D

Here for you again: backlit key board please. Now feel free to go ahead - one intolerant person less...:rolleyes:

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
It's obvious they dropped the backlit keyboard because of a design reason, not out of spite for users who like it. That design choice paid off and the MBA went from niche to mainstream with the last refresh.

Did you really just attribute the success of the Macbook Air to the fact they removed the backlight?? :eek:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Did you really just attribute the success of the Macbook Air to the fact they removed the backlight?? :eek:

Nope, I didn't. Read my post again.

Better yet, let me again repeat myself : I attributed the current MBA's success to its current design. I said the lack of backlit keyboard was for sure a design compromise Apple had to make, but in light of the success of this design, the compromise was a wise choice on their part.

Apple didn't remove the backlit keyboard to spite anyone. They didn't do it to "bring it back later to force upgrades either". There probably came a time in the design process where it was either scrap it or lose the design. Seeing how successful this design was, it seems to me the guy who decided to scrap the backlights made the right choice in the end, even if a few users missed the feature.

That more than anything else prevented people from buying it.

They still sold more than they ever did and it was the best selling Mac for that quarter. So in a sense, maybe preventing a few people from buying it resulted in more people buying it thanks to the new design.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Best Buy has had the majority of their Mac line-up - including the Airs they stock - "on sale" for the past several weeks now. Much as I'd like to see a refresh at WWDC, the Best Buy "sale" doesn't go too far to point the way, as I see it.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Awesome....

My wife's getting my 11" MBA and I'm getting a maxed out top of the line 13" MBA when they come out, the addition of the Thunderbolt is very welcome indeed as doing backups via USB2 is so slow....

USB2 isn't that bad. :D Not like there is much data to back up on today's 11" MBA. And not like Time Machine doesn't work in the background.

TB is welcome, but I suspect the pricing of TB backup drives will keep me away at least for awhile. We'll see.

I would actually say the beauty of a slower backup drive mated to a fast SSD is that the speed of the SSD isn't maxed out and thus maintains responsiveness while using the computer during a backup. That's off the top of my head. I'll have to give that one some more thought.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
My local Best Buy ran out on Monday and for good reason they were telling customers they had sold out a week ago but were really holding out stock for Mondays Memorial day sale. Finally when they begin to sell they had a line half way down the block.

Scottological

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Denver, CO
"Backlit keyboard" is the new "more cowbell."

As in:

OMG Appul totully went bakkwards by not puttting in moar cowbell!!?!

Or:

Quite simply, if Apple fails to inclusify more cowbell in the purported Air update, I shall refuse to purchase it once again! Please, Mr. Jobs, hear our entreaties for MORE COWBELL!

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
If I read one more message about people demanding a backlit keyboard on the new Macbook Air, I'm gonna kill myself!

It's really not that important to anyone who knows how to type!

Learn to type people!!!! The amount of time you will save will be far greater than any gains a backlit keyboard will get you.

:D

Well I'm hoping to see backlit keyboard to! :)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hmmm...

Well it's either refreshed Mac Mini or MBA 13" ultimate for me if I don't wait. As much as I'd like to ditch my iMac soon for something much smaller, I've learned a lot in the last 16 months as far as what works, what I need and I what I want.

I really liked the 13" Air (and will probably like it more once with a mouse should that be the way I go); but the battery life didn't justify the cost. If they get the battery life up to 9 hours, I'll reconsider.

Lion? Not a big deal to me. As long as my current software and peripherals run on it, I'm in no hurry to upgrade my OS.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Impossible. Those are dedicated mobile GPUs. The Air has always had an IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor). nVidia cannot make IGPs for the new Core iX line of processors anymore, so you will not see an nVidia GPU in the next Air.

The nVidia announcement doesn't change anything at all. That's why there was no comment on it nor did anyone bring it up.

Fixed that there for you. The HD 3000 never performed on par with the 320m. The benchmarks AnandTech did that showed any similar performance were for CPU bound tasks which were a result of the Sandy Bridge CPU being much faster than the Core 2 Duo CPU paired with the 320m.

All benchmarks for pure graphics (3D marks and others) show the true story. The HD 3000 is about half the performance of the 320m and twice the performance of the 9400m. It's a downgrade for us current Air owners that value the GPU more than the CPU.

Ivy Bridge won't fix this either. They'll still be slower than comparable offerings from AMD and nVidia, except by then, we won't have had a modern IGP paired with an Intel CPU in quite a while, so comparisons will be impossible. We'll be back in the dark ages where all laptops sucked for gaming again (the early days pre-nVidia doing mobile IGPs).

Finally, someone who speaks the truth about what the Intel IGP means for the MBA.

Most people here are using the 13" MBP with standard voltage Sandy Bridge as a measure of how the HD 3000 would compare in the MBA. The truth is we can expect a 45% decrease or more with an ultra low voltage SB IGP. The clock speed of the Intel SB ULV CPU's IGP is LOWER therefore meaning a slower graphics performance than the Intel HD 3000 used in the 13" MBP. It is not like a standalone GPU whether discrete or integrated that can operate at the same clock speed like the 320m does in the 11" MBA with ULV, 13" MBA with LV, or MacBook with SV CPUs.

We can look at the Samsung Series 9 13" notebook and see the possible same CPU that Apple could use in the MBA, as it has a ULV Sandy Bridge CPU. The IGP is much much slower than the IGP in the 13" MBP because they run at different clock speeds.

The only thing that will prove the difference is an actual MBA released with the SB IGP, but I still hope Apple has some sort of workaround. It really means a step backwards in graphics performance to maybe even the 9400m. So it gets a faster CPU which performs most tasks faster, but it completely eliminates other elements like OpenCL and gaming for starters.

I hope Apple has MBA users interest in mind and at least delivers a solution that compares on all measures to the prior generation MBA. We shouldn't have to take any step backwards in graphics performance, and this is the problem when fair competition isn't allowed; it is sad for all Mac users affected by the loss of the Nvidia GPU whether they realize it or not. We should be happy to get Sandy Bridge paired with a next generation Nvidia GPU/chipset and we could have had it if freedom of competition prevailed. Consumers are the big losers while Intel shareholders win big in the victory of anti-competitiveness in Intel's BIG DOG strategy which paid nVidia a fortune after voiding its license to pair nVidia GPU/chipsets with Intel CPUs beyond C2D.

I think the reporting about the truth of this information has been lacking and misleading. Even MR often compares the HD 3000 to former Intel GMA IGPs in comparison rather than comparing the Intel IGP in all forms versus the nVidia 320m. And everyone seems to completely ignore where nVidia GPU/chipsets would be beyond the 320m had they not been forced out so unfortunately. I would praise any reporting body that would mention the truth about the entire scenario and how it costs Mac users in terms of graphics performance.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Nope, I didn't. Read my post again.

Better yet, let me again repeat myself : I attributed the current MBA's success to its current design. I said the lack of backlit keyboard was for sure a design compromise Apple had to make, but in light of the success of this design, the compromise was a wise choice on their part.

Apple didn't remove the backlit keyboard to spite anyone. They didn't do it to "bring it back later to force upgrades either". There probably came a time in the design process where it was either scrap it or lose the design. Seeing how successful this design was, it seems to me the guy who decided to scrap the backlights made the right choice in the end, even if a few users missed the feature.

They still sold more than they ever did and it was the best selling Mac for that quarter. So in a sense, maybe preventing a few people from buying it resulted in more people buying it thanks to the new design.

+1 A very educated and well written response.

I love how people who don't know product development process will confuse time and design constraints with a company just trying to be mean and "take something away". I'm sure some features get moved to the "later for an upgrade" category, but again, time and other constraints put it on that list to begin with. I know in our company, if I could give it all to my customers in the next upgrade, I would. But it's not realistic if I ever want to ship a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.