Macbook Air, the worst Macbook ever, don't buy it

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bubulol, May 28, 2016.

1. bubulol macrumors 6502

Hello, i ve been since long time a big Macbook Air enthusiast but i ve sold mine some month ago, why?
    I think its worst Macbook in 2016, le met explain
    - 11/13, new Macbook is very close if not smaller than 11, MBP 13 is also just behind MBA 13 in term of size/weight

- Both resolution are awful, everything is blurry, you literally see every pixel on the display
    You cant use 1366x768 in 2016 while your iPhone has almost same resolution if not higher (i am not even talking about Android smartphones which have 2k/4k resolution LOL)
    Your own phone have bigger resolution and better pitch LOL

- TN panel, that would be my main blame about MBA, i couldnt use it in couch, on the bed, TN suffers from viewing angle, poor colors and less contrast than IPS
    Its a big no no in 2016

Maybe MBA is more powerful than Macbook, maybe more connectivity but you wouldn't use a TN panel display and such low resolution, i have it in my first netbook before Macbook Air was introduced by Tim Cook

For Apple users, if you like the portability of 11, get new Macbook, if you like the best compromise of size with 13, go on MBP 13, you wont regret it

I am not trolling lol, i believe Apple made the right choice, new Macbook has everything for an ultraportable, portability, great display...
    The only thing which i disagree, its about pricing, its such pricey
    That would explain why Macbook Air is so popular, because its cheaper!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And TN panel is exactly what makes the MBA cheaper. High resolution IPS panels are considerably more expensive than the TN panels used in the MBA, so switching to IPS would push the price up. For many, the TN panel is just fine - it's miles ahead of the 768p panels that most of the cheap-ish PCs have.

I never found the resolution to be an issue on my 13" MBA. The retina IPS display in my new 2016 rMB sure is nicer, but if I was on a budget I wouldn't mind making the tradeoff for MBA's TN panel. Also, you have to remember that the MBA has the best battery life out of all Macs and that is primarily due to the lower res panel.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I'm not an MBA fan at all, but i wouldn't say worst ever...
    I would go for a rMB over the MBA everytime. But you get what you pay for in most cases.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

This is exactly why Apple is making the MBA the entry level portable computer for their line of MacBook products - MB Air > MacBook > MB Pros... in that order.

The MBA is a solid little notebook computer, albeit with a lower resolution and lower tech screen. And it's part of why these machines can be had for under $1000 most places.

5. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

1000$ is expensive for a TN laptop no matter if its a Mac.
    I would rather having less battery life than using TN screen display
    Ofc new Macbook is currently out of entry-mid price range but soon or later it will pick MBA spot
    I prefer spending 1,5k on MBP 13 or getti lower price such as a Windows IPS ultraportable than using MBA...

6. akimoriRyuuji macrumors regular

akimoriRyuuji

I disagree. It is far from the worst Macbook ever. It's simply an older model. But even then, there are other hardware specs that make it potentially better than the newest "Macbook". For example, running an i5 means that you get a laptop that is more capable. And it has very good battery life. About 3 years ago, the best battery life in the market in that price range.

I would dare say that the screen is not a problem, but it is certainly not as nice as newer ones. 1440x900 is far from blurry, however.

But I'm glad that you have an opinion on the matter. I just don't agree with it.

7. organic bond macrumors regular

Totally disagree. In fact the MacBook Air is the best computer I've have used, and I started in 1981. I bought one in 2010 and another one last year.

And BTW, last year I bought a MacBook as well. Returned.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I think the Air is one of the best. It has MagSafe, a fairly good selection of ports (including an SD card reader), it has the best battery life of ANY of Apple's computer, it is fast enough and it is affordable.

The screen is fine to me. I have the Non Retina Pro and I find that more than adequate, and the Air screen is bigger than that.

The Macbook Retina has a better screen, but plenty of us have no issues with Non Retina displays.

9. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Your dreaming as the MacBook Air is a fantastic machine. Why come on here and make a stupid comment it's only you who doesn't get on with an Air

10. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Wow ...useless post is useless :).
    Everyone buys what it fits best so this post has no meaning ^^.
    Nice advertising on MB btw xD. I can smell that smelly smell

11. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I have a MacBook air and an iPad pro 12.9. I go between them both in a day and find the air to have a great screen.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

cool story, bro.

I thought trotting out the old, "blurry pixelated mess of a screen" trope was a nice touch.;)

13. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty normal to notice Mac users defending a Macbook laptop, but imo i never seen a laptop with TN screen that costs over 1000$
    Battery life on Retina models doesn't suck at all, 10 hours on MBP and new Macbook, just for few hours, ppl would prefer non Retina display lmao?

14. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

We get it. You think the MBA is trash. The answer is simple - don't buy one. Buy what works for you. But regardless of your opinion (to which you are certainly entitled), the MBA is a solid little machine that performs well and has a solid following.

Moving on... not sure what more there is to discuss.

15. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

As I said... Nice advertising on MB. Well done.
    And your point is ? It's 2016 and the MBA line should be cut because TN?
    People buys what they like ...I LOVE TN SCREEN!

16. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

there is no excuse for Apple to put a $5 TN panel on a $1000 laptop. $200 chromebooks have more pleasant to look at displays.

It is a big shame because the 13" Air would be the best laptop if it had a good display. It has everything else going for it.
    3 times I bought an Air but ended up selling them shortly after because the display is unacceptable to me.

17. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah when i see that my iPhone has better display than my former Macbook Air 11, (like you, i ve bought two times and sold it), nah i cant stay with such display
    People would buy MBA because its Apple, its has slick design and OSX
    Yes MBA was a formidable laptop in 2011/2012, not in 2016, New Macbook is here and it has everything which Macbook Air user would need

- Mobility
    - Excellent IPS Display and wow, jeez, look at Retina resolution, so sharp and crisp
    - Lovely and slick design
    - Fairly good battery life, up to 9/10 hours, dont tell me you need to work from morning to midnight, 10 hours, its enough for most daily use

Yes it lacks some CPU perf for now and price is a bit high though, eh guess what, its Apple product, its expensive as an iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro, Macbook Pro Retina...

18. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I would have preferred a MB, but being in a nursing home, I have very limited funds, after suffering a stroke I needed a laptop. The MBA fit my price range and the weight for one handed carry has been perfect, too.

I watch Netflix for hours everyday. While I knew the MBA had a TN screen, I've been very happy with it for watching YouTube and Netflix. I don't put my nose to the screen to look for ever pixel either. Adjust the colors etc. on the screen was an easy fix.

Comparing an iPhone display to a 13" MBA seems strange to me, two different screen sizes for different purposes.
    I am very happy with my purchase.

19. tdale macrumors 65816

Ive never seen a screen like that on any laptop or PC no matter how cheap or budget.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

...then you haven't looked very long or very hard.:) But I get it, it's en vogue to complain about the MBA's screen.

21. AFEPPL, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's not en vogue, just an opinion, he has one and he's shared it on a public forum. Do you believe by people entering into internet bullying or talking down of a fellow posters they will alter their opinion to one you want them to share?

The MBA screen is just lacking for many.. Maybe it's en vogue for the MBA crowd to be endlessly crowing about the one USB-C connector on the rMB?

22. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you know that a 200$ Chromebook would suit to your need (Youtube, Netflix) and has way better display (IPS)?

About price, i cant imagine ppl still defending Apple, IPS isnt cheap for sure but i doesn't cost 500$ either, Apple selling a TN laptop for 1000$ lmao and ppl still believe its a formidable machine
    Neither MBA nor the new Macbook does
    There is only one viable Macbook on the market: Retina Macbook Pro

23. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

As someone said it is a Forum and everybody entitled to his/her opinion. I, for instance, am not fond of rMB for many reasons. Nevertheless, sentences, like these ones below, make me smile.

24. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

TN panel is awesome, iPad cheaper device has IPS since first iPad lol

Display is one of most important component when it comes to buy laptop, specs are another one but display should be one of your criteria!

25. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I have to disagree. It is not the display, at least in my case, that is the most important criteria when it comes to portable computers.