Macbook Air, time remaining - normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Epikuros, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Epikuros macrumors member

Hi,

I recently got the 2013 macbook air and I'm really impressed with battery life so far, it really lasts all day as far as I can tell, with over 50% of the battery remaining when I get home. I generally don't work with CPU intensive tasks (writing & browsing mostly, some music & videos too).

However now when I'm working more irregular hours I'm trying to gauge how much time I have remaining and I found the time remaining indicator but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

[​IMG]

It shows about 4hrs left at about 75%, I thought that sounded a little low. However just after I took that screenshot it jumped to 5hrs, and when I'mm looking right now it's at 5:30, the remaining time is increasing while the battery is slowly decreasing. I know that these machines comes calibrated because the percentage itself seems in order.

Is this normal or is there an 'easy fix'?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That sounds normal. The way that time estimate works is it is based on current usage. So if you are watching say a Flash video you will see the est. time remaining drop way down. Then if ten minutes later you stop watching that video the time remaining will go back up even though the battery may be lower % because your current usage is consuming less power.

3. Epikuros thread starter macrumors member

That interesting. It's now past 6 hours remaining and I'm definitely using it more casually now. I guess mystery solved. Thanks.