Macbook Air to replace 2008 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Samslice12, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Samslice12 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Looking to buy a new laptop sometime in the future as my 2008 Macbook is pushing 4 years old and slowing down considerably. The new airs look really tempting, so looking at them.

Basically, I have my Hackintosh beast at home which I use for most of my heavy lifting. So, I really want something quick and fast that I can take to uni that will go all day. I'm doing a CS degree, so basically I'm just going to need it for coding, HTML, maybe a bit of Photoshop and design stuff, but as I say, I have my desktop at home for that. I also might play a few games on it, on the go like Diablo, SC2, but full graphics is not necessarily a deal breaker. My budget is around 1400.

So basically my question is: 11" or 13"? The bigger battery in the 13" is really tempting, I really want to be able to go all day at Uni without taking a charger but the 11" might be fine and I could afford to bump up the specs in the 11" to 8GB RAM and the i7.

Thanks!

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I am in the same situation. I have the 2008 aluminum MacBook and decided to upgrade, so I could have something that is lighter and runs a little less hot. Also, the LCD quality on the 2008 is rather poor. The LCDs on the current and previous Air is immensely superior.

I considered the 11". I visited the Apple Store and tested them out. The 11" screen is just too small. If you are using it on a desk, maybe it could be sufficient. However, I almost always have mine on my lap. At that distance, the screen is too small. Go for the 13". I did.