Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I have a four year old iMac that I'm considering replaceing with a MacBook Air. I'm using most of the hard drive space on my iMac, which means the SSD on an Air would not hold all my apps and files.

I'm just wondering if some of you have replaced a desktop Mac with a MacBook and how you go about storing all your files. I'm thinking there is a juggling act that may need to be done with an external drive, which may include keeping my iTunes library on the external drive.

I'm just trying to figure it out prior to making the purchase. I was at the Apple Store in San Francisco yesterday and they have some very cool 1TB drives, although I'm guessisng I can find them cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I'm getting close to making the purchase! I would need two external drives. One to hold the majority of my files, and the other to perform back-ups of both the MBA SSD and the primary external USB drive.

How would you set up something like this? Some sort of daisy chain arrangement? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.