Macbook Air to Sony Bravia TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iMikkel, Dec 25, 2011.

1. iMikkel macrumors newbie

Hey Mac users

I have a problem with connecting my Macbook Air to my Sony Bravia TV.

I use a Belkin Mini DisplayPort HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable.

Every time I connect plug my mac screen flashes blue once. The problem is that only one out of ten times my Mac screen appears on the TV screen. When it rarely succeeds it works perfectly with great picture and sound.

What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely Mikkel

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You do have it to the right HDMI TV/Video source every time you use your MBAir to your Sony Bravia. I'm thinking, maybe, that one time, only did you have TV/Video to the correct HDMI port when viewing.

Your Bravia will have multiple HDMI ports. On your remote, choose the correct port by pressing on TV/Video multiple times until you get to the right source. Make sure the MBA is connected before you do this. It's easier to locate. Or refer to the labeling on the HDMI port on your TV and select that via TV/Video (on the remote).

3. iMikkel thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ET iPhone Home

Thanks for the answer!

My Sony Bravia TV has 4 HDMI slots. I've tried them all. They can all connect my Mac but not every time.

Further, I have reconnected all the cables, Tried an SMC reset and turn on TV and mac in a different order. Nothing help!

Today I tried to put my computer to a Samsung TV. It works every time and the first time.

So ... My Mac works, my cable + adapter works.

Some suggestions on how I get on?

/ Mikkel

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You do have it to the right TV/Video source on your TV and remote? Let's say your MBA is connected to the 3rd HDMI port, did you press TV/Video on your remote to get you to HDMI 3? It will flicker to indicate something is connected to the Bravia, but if you don't have it to the right source, you won't be able to view anything on your TV.

5. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I just connect to mine with 'mini display port to VGA adapter' and separate sound cable to headphone port

then it's just a matted of selecting the right video 1 or video 2 on your Sony remotes and voila

works a treat

6. Robyr macrumors regular

Try hitting "Detect Displays" button on the Displays panel in System Preferences. If that works, I think you may have the same issue some of us are having with the Thunderbolt 1.1 update. Do you connect this MBA to any other external displays? Do they work as expected?