Macbook Air. Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LionheartAKB, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LionheartAKB macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a used Macbook Air. I went on my local craigslist and found an ad that seems too good to be true. Here's what's being offered:

13.3" Macbook Air
    1.86 Core 2 Duo
    128GB SSD
    2GB RAM
    External Super Drive

The seller is only asking $340! At first I thought the price was a typo, but I emailed the seller and she confirmed the price is only $340! She claims that the unit is 6 months old, in like new condition, still under waranty, and she has the receipt.

At this point, I advised her that I'm interested in purchasing the Macbook but would like to test it out first. She wrote back and stated that she recently moved to the UK to live with her sister. She claims she lost her job here in FL and thats what caused the move. She says she is also in desperate need of money and that's why she needs to sell it so quickly and for so little. The seller also claims that no one in UK wants it because it has a US keyboard and US warranty. The last part seems odd to me because people in the UK still write and speak in English... I know this is probably too good to be true, but I'd still like to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Too good to be true. Check www.mac2sell.net for more real (but a bit higher) prices.
    The story also sounds fake.

3. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Email me her address and I'll check her out! Sounds dodgy to me.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a scam, all the way.

If you cannot check it out and selling a 6 month old laptop that goes for over 1500 bucks for only a few hundred. Makes absolutely no sense.

What motivation for a person to buy a laptop for 1499+, then six months later to sell it. It does not matter that she ran into fiscal problems, in fact if that was the case, then there's even more motivation to get the most for the sale not the least.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Excuses, excuses and excuses. If it was in eBay, then you could try your luck as you have better protection but in CL, no way it's true. BTW, is she even allowed to list it in FL's CL if she doesn't live there anymore?

6. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

7. Pak^Man macrumors regular

I've hard this exact story a few years ago with someone trying to sell a MBP on Craigslist..... Scam!

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"she's a con-man!"

She ain't even a "she".

If you know what's good for you, STAY AWAY.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Ah, the old "Thanks for the reply, but I'm currently out of the country" scam.

Don't waste your time.

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

OP: just so you know this same ad and story appears almost weekly in Los Angeles on CL. This is a SCAM.

11. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Yeah man, this is totally a scam, just walk away, no more e-mails or contact, just walk away

12. LionheartAKB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I pretty much knew from the get go that it was a scam, but tried to remain hopeful. No worries. I will not be contacting her again.

13. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Posted in SFbay as well...definitely a scam.

14. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Definitely a scam, I live in Nebraska, and these show up all the time. I have replied to probably 5 different mac ads in the last 6 months and it was always a different name, but same story. In the UK. I refuse to believe there are that many Nebraskans in the UK at any given time...

15. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Such a scam. you should flip the table and see if you can scam her!