Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Someone needs to teach her that she needs to let go of the power button for it to turn on. The delay in it turning on is due to that. This ain't the fire time either I've noticed her doing this on her torture tests. You'd think after all those years, someone would have pointed out her erroneous assertions that it's not turning on due to the cold or the heat. It's because you won't take off your damn finger from the button! :p

And on another note, CNET is such a garbage tech site, especially when compared to the like of Ars Technica and Anandtech. Entertainment seems to have superseded real information as far as I can tell.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I don't know a laptop that would survive a water test....

I dropped an open and filled water canteen/thing from a table directly onto my MacBook Pro that was on the floor (I was like a minute away from starting a yoga video). It was soaked. It shut itself off. I placed the MBPro on the ground next to a window in a sunny and bright spot to let it dry, open and face down with the keyboard and screen facing the floor. I was away from home and didn't have a screwdriver to take the battery out.

I just left it there over that weekend while I researched getting a MacBook Air as a replacement. After fighting the urge to mess with it after a few days, I turned it on and it's worked perfectly fine all of these ~6months after that happened.

(and yes, I can acknowledge how stupidly lucky I was and this probably isn't the norm, based on so many internet comments I read that weekend from people who experienced similar situations.)

Also -- I now have a MBAir anyway, and if I could be guaranteed that no harm would come from it, I'd totally put it in the freezer just for bored fun.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Am I the only one who hates drop / torture test on electronics? Just take care of your ****. Seriously, I feel like 100+ devices are broken because of these things. Stop it! You make me cry! :rolleyes:

But seriously, I hate these things.

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
I dropped an open and filled water canteen/thing from a table directly onto my MacBook Pro that was on the floor (I was like a minute away from starting a yoga video). It was soaked. It shut itself off. I placed the MBPro on the ground next to a window in a sunny and bright spot to let it dry, open and face down with the keyboard and screen facing the floor. I was away from home and didn't have a screwdriver to take the battery out.

I just left it there over that weekend while I researched getting a MacBook Air as a replacement. After fighting the urge to mess with it after a few days, I turned it on and it's worked perfectly fine all of these ~6months after that happened.

(and yes, I can acknowledge how stupidly lucky I was and this probably isn't the norm, based on so many internet comments I read that weekend from people who experienced similar situations.)

Also -- I now have a MBAir anyway, and if I could be guaranteed that no harm would come from it, I'd totally put it in the freezer just for bored fun.

Was your MBP able to sustain battery life even when not plugged in?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Was your MBP able to sustain battery life even when not plugged in?

Yes. Nothing like what happened with the Air in the video. (Ha!)

That MBPro is from 2009 and it does have a Service Battery notice, and I am pretty sure that was there before the water incident but can't say with certainty. The battery does last about two and a half hours or so and as far as I can tell, that Service Battery message is rather inconsequential.

Basically I just didn't/don't use the battery as much as I should or could have and it's been plugged in most of the time because it's a bulky thing to take out and around very often. This is why I went ahead and got an 11inch Air as well recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.