Macbook Air Trackpad / Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gavroche, Jul 17, 2014.

1. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

My Macbook Air (2012 Model) has had problems recently with the trackpad. It occasionally does not want to recognize button clicks properly... and it is an issue that comes and goes. Someone recently clued me in to the fact that it is probably a battery issue. He said that the batteries can heat up in use, and swell a little bit, and it is located right below the trackpad button and can cause issues. So i could have sworn i read a while back that Apple may address these battery problems, even out of warranty. Unfortunately I ignored the story, as it didn't apply to me (at the time)... now i can't find it doing a search. Anyone know anything on this?

2. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I've had on and off trackpad issues for over a year on my 2012 MBA as well, I think I also remember reading it could be due to a swollen battery. It's strange though because the first time I experienced track pad issues it was only 4-5 months after I got my MBA. Then I didn't experience it again for a very long time. It is very sporadic. Also my issues are more that it starts selecting everything on the page when I scroll or thinks I am secondary clicking when I have two fingers on the trackpad.

My plan initially was to get the trackpad replaced, but every time I am considering it the problem goes away. However if the battery is the real culprit then I don't see what use that would be.

3. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I have a late 2008 unibody macbook that had it's battery swell after about 4 years or so. I started noticing an issue when the trackpad became very hard to click, you had to put a lot of pressure on it. It would seem to get better and worse again seemingly at random.

As the laptop was still usable I pretty much just dealt with the issue, until I noticed that the battery cover was actually swelling out. The laptop wouldn't even sit flat against a even surface.

So I removed the cover and lo and behold the battery was ballooning outward. I promptly removed the battery as a swollen battery can be a serious fire hazard. This fixed the track pad and the uneven stance of my laptop, but has the unfortunate side effect of crippling the speed of the CPU. Apple laptops clock down the CPU when no battery is installed to ensure that the laptop does draw more power than the power supply can provide, as that would cause the system to shut down.

TL:DR

Can definitely be a swollen battery. Either purchase a pentalobe screwdriver in order to open the laptop and check, or just take it to apple and get them to check.

Cheers.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The glass trackpads will go bad after 2 years or so if you wear them out. The trackpad is probably loose.

5. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Same problem - late 2012, 13", i7. Model 5,2.

Also, just installed Cindori control centre plugin and noticed the battery info says 'Check Battery'. Checked system info:

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 2917
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4605
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 293
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1091
    Voltage (mV): 7561

WTF? Any suggestions? It's not even 2 years old..

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Your battery has likely swollen. Take it to apple as they may replace it for you.

Just for the record, apple can't prevent this from happening, these batteries just do this, though two years is a bit quick for it to happen.

Good luck.

7. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Appreciate the reply, will make an appoinment. Sadly I went through a few years / 3 batteries / swelling with a $4K, 17" MacBook Pro.. bloody batteries.