Macbook air turned off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Goobypls, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Goobypls macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Macbook air 2013

Was browsing the Web and the screen developed vertical Gray and black lines and frozen

Then it went black and it made three siren noises every few seconds

I pressed off and the siren stopped. When I power it back on the siren restarts but there is no screen, only black

Help appreciated

2. Gav2k, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Follow the steps in the link below and see if that solves your issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

FYI three tones then 5 second pause in a row is memory issues.

Three long tones then three short tones is a corrupt efi rom in recovery mode. (You should leave the computer powered on. It will recover itself)

3. Goobypls thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help. Resetting the smc did nothing.

The tones I am getting are always the same length, always three in a row

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your ram has gone bad and isn't passing the data integrity check mate.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2017 ---
    I should add there was a replacement program for 2013 mba's. try taking it into Apple ;)

5. Goobypls thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the implications of that? Time for a new laptop?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you don't qualify for service then it would be a new logic board.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You sure it's not a scam website? I don't know of a legitimate system warning that sounds like a "siren." RAM failure produces beeps. Seems more like something designed to panic a user into phoning a fraudulent tech support number.

Following the steps in this article may be more fruitful than resetting the SMC: https://support.apple.com/HT203987

8. Goobypls thread starter macrumors newbie

A beep is a more accurate description.

Given its an old laptop I guess I don't qualify for service. How much is a new logic board and if I have a 4 year old laptop am I better off buying a new laptop entirely

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is a repair program on the 2013 mba. Check Apple support for details. You may be able to get your issue fixed if you take it in.

To replace the logic board is a simple but costly process. $200+ depending on the specs.

10. Goobypls thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple support say my complimentary technical support has expired. I guess I can still take it to an apple store?

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Apple will still service that model if you're willing to pay for service (or if it qualifies for the service program - problem is, the service program covers Flash storage, not RAM, and Flash failures don't produce beeps). https://support.apple.com/HT201702

12. Goobypls thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. What is the best way to get apple to service it? Apply to an accredited apple store? Or should I attend a nonaffiliated apple store

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

There are official Apple Stores (owned by Apple). Those will diagnose the Mac at no charge, and provide a free estimate. Whether there's a charge for repair depends on what they find. If there is one convenient to you, that would be my first recommendation. If you had an older Mac (five years old or older), the official Apple Stores may not provide service, under their Vintage and Obsolete policy https://support.apple.com/HT201624 - it might then be better to go to an independently-owned shop, which may have different policies about what they will or won't service.

There are also "Apple Authorized Service Providers." These are independently-owned businesses that have an official relationship with Apple. Their staff and practices have to meet Apple's standards. They provide service under the Apple warranty and AppleCare service agreements. For non-warranty service, they are free to charge for diagnosis as well as repairs. In some countries, Apple Authorized Service Providers are the only official Apple service available.

"Nonaffiliated Apple Store" is a contradiction of terms. If they are nonaffiliated, they are not representing Apple. Apple has no say in their practices or policies. Any repair shop can offer to repair an Apple product. Whether you choose to use them is up to you.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

You've been advised multiple times above about "what to do next":
    TAKE IT TO A BRICK-n-MORTAR APPLE STORE.

Let them look at it.

They might, just might, offer a free repair.

If they don't, then it's time to consider what your other options are...