Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hi, i wonder if i can pick my Macbook Air under humid weather, i am planning to go in south of Asia and Australia within couple months
A trip through mountains (not Everest lol, rather like hills) and jungle
Macbook Air within a case in jungle under heavy humid weather, does it enough?
Should i leave it at home?
Thanks

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hi, i wonder if i can pick my Macbook Air under humid weather, i am planning to go in south of Asia and Australia within couple months
Thanks

Definitely take it. You should be fine, however, be sure you have the right plug converters for your charge cord.

I say you should be fine, because last year, Amelia Earhart flew around the world, recreating Amelia Earhart's flight and route, and symbolically closing it as she completed it. Throughout the entire journey, she took her MBA with her, to places like Brazil, Trinidad, Sao Tome and Principe, Darwin, Papua New Guinea, and the South Pacific. No problems with her MBA at all, and I believe she went without a case.

As long as you take care of it as you normally would, you should be fine.

BL.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks

Remember that Apple sells laptops to people in Asia and Australia too.

The laptops are designed for these environments.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks, i ve watched many documentaries which scientists/photographers using Macbook in heart of jungle
Another question, what is the best universal plug adapter?
I need EU/UK/China/Asia/Australia plug

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I have UK charger, i need longer plug cable, those adapters aint long enough for me :(
Any normal adapter that fits straight to the pins?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I have UK charger, i need longer plug cable, those adapters aint long enough for me :(
Any normal adapter that fits straight to the pins?

You'd have to buy one for each country that your plug cable doesn't natively support. That's the problem.

And the one issue I had when I traveled overseas is that while I had the right adapter for my devices, the voltage was different in the country I was in (US uses 110v, where at time in Australia, they were at 240v). So my gear ran hotter, faster, and nearly burned out. If your brick doesn't handle the auto-switching properly, you could burn up your charger altogether.

Do you know anyone in the places you are going? If so, you could borrow their charger when you are there and save the hassle..

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
does Apple World Travel Adapter Kit worth it?

For what you are wanting, no, it won't.

The World Travel Adapter kit basically are just the heads that you can interchange out of the brick part of your charger. You are looking for a longer cable, which would also be one of those heads that you swap out. You are looking for the adapter for the other end (the prongs of the cord).

BL.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I already have US adapter while i got UK stock cable plug
Basically yes i need something plugging straight into the pins, not sure about amperage and voltage...
Any suggestion about one of those universal plug adapter?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks, i ve watched many documentaries which scientists/photographers using Macbook in heart of jungle
Another question, what is the best universal plug adapter?
I need EU/UK/China/Asia/Australia plug

I have this one, but sometimes the fit in foreign sockets is pretty loose and if you plug a MacBook charger into it, it will frequently just slide out of the wall:

http://www.amazon.com/MAXAH®-Protec...8&qid=1428106598&sr=8-4&keywords=plug+adapter

But it's great if you have outlets in a power strip on the ground. But if I were to buy another, I might try something else, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Twist...&qid=1428106666&sr=8-22&keywords=plug+adapter

----------

And the one issue I had when I traveled overseas is that while I had the right adapter for my devices, the voltage was different in the country I was in (US uses 110v, where at time in Australia, they were at 240v). So my gear ran hotter, faster, and nearly burned out. If your brick doesn't handle the auto-switching properly, you could burn up your charger altogether.

Do you know anyone in the places you are going? If so, you could borrow their charger when you are there and save the hassle..

110/220 was a big deal a long time ago. Now I think every single thing I own is designed for both. I know a girl with a hairdryer that only works on 110. That's it.

I mean, definitely check and make sure but I think for most people these days it will be a complete non-issue.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I believe the Apple Website states that the computer can function in up to 90% humidity, as long as it's non-condensing. You should be just fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.