Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
In contrast I would like to see the glass-cover display in the MBA. I've had enough of dust-under-the-rim displays and the glass cover makes the newer ones easier to clean in general. I think I've done pretty well with my '08 MBP though :).
You are right about glass covered displays being easy to clean. Although I dislike the reflections the glass covered display on my iPad creates, I acknowledge that it is, indeed, very easy to clean.

Zulu1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I would much prefer one USB 3.0 port to two or three USB 2.0 ports. I really don't understand people wanting to plug things into their MBAs? .

Uh...when you can only get Ethernet, and you only have one USB-Ethernet port and realize the doc/app/thingy you need is on a USB....Pretty straight forward in my opinion

Z

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Uh...when you can only get Ethernet, and you only have one USB-Ethernet port and realize the doc/app/thingy you need is on a USB....Pretty straight forward in my opinion

Z

Not when you're using 21st Century technology called 802.11n! I have NEVER needed my USB>Ethernet dongle. I always have it with me just in case, but to date it's still in its original plastic wrap. And it's RARE that I have ever needed a USB thumb drive for anything (maybe 10 times since I switched to the MBA). With Internet access through MobileMe to my AEBS drive at home, network access at home to the drive and printer, and WiFi when at all offices and home access to files isn't as demanding as requiring me to use a USB port.

The whole point of the MBA is it's built to take advantage of everything wirelessly. Sure if you want to sit everywhere with an Ethernet cable, two USB cables, audio in, audio out, a FW drive, and power all plugged in, you go right ahead and buy your MBP. I don't want the MBA to be burdened with anything it doesn't need... and one X USB is plenty sufficient for an ultraportable... and when the MBA gets its hopeful "big" update in Early 2011 it will probably just be two LightPeak ports. That way one can plug in a display or an additional secondary device. I love the MBA's design how all ports are hidden except the small power port. The port tray hides the ports nicely as the vast majority of the time it stays closed on mine - except when I am at my desk at one of three offices where I have 24" LED ACDs ready for connectivity. It will be even better when we're all using Intel wireless display tech and don't have to worry about that.

The point is if one is thinking about ports, just buy a damned MBP and enjoy. The MBA is all about wireless connectivity for the ultramobile professional.

Huubster

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Not when you're using 21st Century technology called 802.11n!
There are many places in this world that doesn't have this 21st century technology widely available. Someone who travels a lot all over the world will typically visit such places.

The whole point of the MBA is it's built to take advantage of everything wirelessly.
Disagreed. The whole point of the MBA is to be ultra portable: great for people who are travelling a lot. Like me.

So yes, I am travelling a lot internationally. For me it means that I find myself often in places that doesn't have WiFi, but does have ethernet. I use the USB ethernet dongle quite often.

And imho everything wirelessly includes GPRS...nothing like that built into the MBA...
For GPRS I use a non-Apple phone as modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.