Macbook Air Upgrade Spec

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chanyitian, Jun 20, 2012.

1. chanyitian macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I will be purchasing the 2012 version Macbook Air 13 inch ( high end model). However, I am not sure if I should pay to upgrade from 1.8 GHZ i5 to 2.0GHZ i7. I am also not too sure about upgrading the ram from 4GB to 8GB although some say that upgrading the ram is crucial. please advice. thanks

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you pretty much got it...ram is the most important. The CPU difference you will not really notice unless you run CPU intensive programs. If you have the money though, just go ahead and upgrade :)

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

This all depends on what you plan on using the computer for. If you are just surfing the web, emails, listening to music, etc., the lower end specs will be more than enough.

4. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice. however, by 'intensive programs', do iMovie, Photoshop or Aperture qualify as the 'intensive programs'?

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

With those apps, I would look at upgrading the ram. You will notice more difference with more ram than you will with the cpu upgrade.

6. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

And i know that upgrading the CPU to i7 may kill battery life. is the CPU upgrade worth it?

7. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

8. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

so you will leave out the CPU upgrade? thanks:)

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Yeah, that's what I would do.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The battery life is not much different. I agree more RAM is better if you don't want to do both upgrades. The CPU upgrade makes a little more of a difference on the 11" since it uses a slower i5, but for comparison, this year's 1.8GHz i5 slightly outperforms last year's i7, so you should be fine with it.