Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I want to get an 11.6" MacBook Air. I decided against the base model since I definitely want the 128GB SSD. I plan to buy an external 1TB Hard Drive to store a lot of data on but want to make sure that all of my applications and important data all fits on my internal hard drive so I don't have to always take the external drive with me.

I looked at the $1199 model which has the 128GB but it only has 2GB and has the base 1.4Ghz processor.

Is there a big speed difference between the 1.4GHz and 1.6GHz option?
I have seen an option where I can buy it for $1399 and it gives me the 1.6GHz CPU and 4GB of memory.

I do a bit of multitasking and most of what would be done on it is web browsing, email, office (excel, word), Adobe Acrobat, Filemaker, and Bento.
For this use would 4GB be better than 2GB and would the 1.6GHz CPU help a lot?

One last question. I have often purchased my MacBook Pro's with the least memory available and purchased memory from OWC. Is it possible to upgrade the memory in the MacBook Air after purchase?

psirix

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
Detroit, MI
If you're just doing web browsing and productivity, the 1.6GHz probably won't be a huge benefit for you but a tid bit faster. In my opinion, the memory upgrade is going to be much more beneficial than the CPU upgrade.

Memory cannot be upgraded, it is soldered directly to the logic board.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
if you're just doing web browsing and productivity, the 1.6ghz probably won't be a huge benefit for you but a tid bit faster. In my opinion, the memory upgrade is going to be much more beneficial than the cpu upgrade.

+1

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I love my 1.4, 128, 4gb config. I maxed the RAM, decided to save the $100 on the processor bump because I know I'll be salivating when the new model arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.