Macbook Air User Upgradeable Ram ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbedhead, Oct 24, 2010.

1. macbedhead macrumors member

Can the Macbook Air Ram be user upgradeable by slipping in an extra cheaper 2GB stick or is that another part that Apple has its sights on with proprietary hardware lockdown ?

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I believe the RAM (and the flash memory) is soldered to the logic board..so nope.

3. macbedhead thread starter macrumors member

Though I saw there is an option now for 2 or 4 GB RAM option on the Buy it Now page at Apple so I assumed they might have just had an insert clip for a 2GB stick of 1.066 Mhz So-Dim or whatever it is called now.

4. Aranince macrumors 65816

That's because when you order it from the site, they can put in 2 2gb sticks at the factory.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

The flash memory is removable.

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

are you sure?

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yup, its on a removable card, you can see it via ifixit's teardown.

ram is soldered and cannot be removed, the decision has to be made at time a order and cannot be changed.

8. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

If your not sure checkout the teardown recently posted on the web. the ssd is a proprietary one with no case.. it plugs into the logic board and the ram chips are soldered in place.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The flash storage is theoretically upgradeable, but where are you going to get the part?

As others have said, the RAM is soldered to the board. What you buy in that regard is without doubt what you'll keep.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

In time, the parts will become available...at a price. Even then, I'm not sure that it will be as simple as pick n' swap. There may be some proprietary recognition software required, as it doesn't use an interface supported by disk utility AFAIK.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You are 100% correct. Apple has even put special fasteners in the bottom of the case so as to discourage consumers & independents from opening this computer. If one desires 4GB, you'd better order it at time of purchase.

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

That is what I thought and that is why I was asking if they were sure the flash memory IS removable. Please see the quote I was texting.